Review by Kevivas03 -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Kevivas03 -- The Reel Sisters

Post by Kevivas03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever had a connection to a group of friends so deep that it transcends the bonds of a family? Have you ever had to rely on acquaintances for spiritual, financial, and emotional support, knowing that you will not be judged and that the support is given by a willing heart?

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a story of one such cohort of buddies. The plot takes us through the lives of five different women of various ages and careers. These ladies are brought together by a hobby they all love; fly fishing. The oldest of the team, Rose was portrayed as thoughtful and wise, one who was always ready to give a helping hand. The cabin they would gather in for most fishing weekends was built by her and her late husband. Sophie was a green-house business owner. Not so lucky in love, always caring for others more than herself. Amanda was a teacher, raising two children of her own, with her husband, a soldier deployed in Afghanistan. We also see Veronica, a career woman who ran a female CEO coaching business and was married to a restaurateur, Thatcher. Last but not least Melody, a young photographer, who was estranged from her parents and was desperately trying to carve out her own story, her own destiny in the world.

Where will the story of these five lead?

I liked that each chapter's title was the name of one of the five protagonists, from this you would immediately know whose perspective of the five ladies you were reading. The 1st person narrative took me through moments as if I was the one experiencing them. This title was alive. Pearls of fly fishing wisdom are found all across the book, I now know a thing or two. The chapters were to the point. There were very few errors. The fly fishing clubs, blogs, and outfitters given at the end of the book are great, especially if a reader decides to delve into the sport, he/she will have a good start. When I first selected the book, the reel I pictured was a film reel and I thought the book was a play or something, catchy title kudos to Michelle. The plot is very relatable.

Themes of love, grief, camaraderie, family, fly fishing, and hope are found throughout the reading.

The use of profane words was too much in certain chapters, especially in those focused on Melody. The author was trying to capture the essence of youth; as a youth, I am somewhat offended as vulgar words do not define youth. The word ornery was used too much in the book.

In as much as the women in the story were brought together by fly fishing, the focus on the sport became too much at times which dulled the book in some places. For this reason and for the unnecessary profane language I give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars . I would recommend this book to people who are 18 years of age and older. The Reel Sisters can work well in a women's book club or even one for men. It should definitely be a shared read, a mother and daughter perfect selection. Anyone into plots that deal with friendship, love, and family will have a blast.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rashida10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rashida10.html
Latest Review: The path from backpack to briefcase 2nd. idition by R. William Holland, PhD

Post by Rashida10 »

I also enjoyed the theme and fluidity of this story. Michelle exhibited artistry and absolute creativity. You chose a good book.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:

Post by Kevivas03 »

Rashida10 wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 07:37 I also enjoyed the theme and fluidity of this story. Michelle exhibited artistry and absolute creativity. You chose a good book.
She really is a great author. Thank you for the comment.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I reviewed this book and it was wonderful. You are right the it was too much for the sport sometimes. Great review.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
AtlanticGrace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atlanticgrace.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by AtlanticGrace »

The fact that the author took the time to explain the story from each of the 5 protagonists is really enticing ! Might give the book a read , thank you for the beautiful review ;)
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

I loved this book. Great review.
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

I really liked this book. I found the parts about the sport quite interesting, but I also understand how someone might feel that they were a bit too much. Great review!
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:

Post by Kevivas03 »

AtlanticGrace wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 16:33 The fact that the author took the time to explain the story from each of the 5 protagonists is really enticing ! Might give the book a read , thank you for the beautiful review ;)
Yes it really is enticing. You will not even notice that the book is fairly long.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I like books with 1st person POV. That way we can see more of their emotions through their own thoughts. And the relationship between the characters is beautiful.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

This book shows how friends can be strong together and work to make their lives better. They truly were sisters. Nice review
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:

Post by Kevivas03 »

Sou Hi wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 10:57 Thanks for sharing your opinion. I like books with 1st person POV. That way we can see more of their emotions through their own thoughts. And the relationship between the characters is beautiful.
1st person perspective is King! Thank you for the comment.
123Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-123esther.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by 123Esther »

sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.
" You only know that which you have experienced, the rest you are taught"
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

It is nice to learn that these women enjoyed a sport that is peculiar to men. I enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for the recommendation.
Eutoc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eutoc.html
Latest Review: My Ups And Downs by Sam Barder

Post by Eutoc »

So thoughtful of the author to give out fly fishing blogs, clubs and outfitters at the end of the book. It indicates the encouragement for readers' knowledge beyond her book. Nice review Kevivas.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Under Nazi Noses by John Tepper Marlin (Translator), Erik Schaap (Dutch Author)

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

The relationship between the characters sounds wonderful. I hope to read this sometime. Your review is very insightful.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”