Review by Phelicia Gloria -- Schmooze by Cody Lowry

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Phelicia Gloria
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phelicia-gloria.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Review by Phelicia Gloria -- Schmooze by Cody Lowry

Post by Phelicia Gloria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Schmooze" by Cody Lowry.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Where do some people get all the wealth they have while others don’t? Some inherit wealth from their parents, while others struggle to make their own. Cody wasn’t born with a silver spoon in his mouth, but today he is among the richest and successful people. Join him as he narrates his story in Schmooze: What They Should Teach at Harvard Business School by Cody Lowry

The word “Schmooze” comes from the Yiddish word “Shmuesn” which means to chat in a friendly and persuasive manner, especially so as to gain favor in businesses or connections. So sit back, put your mind on a “schmooze control” and enjoy the ride! Am your driver Phelicia Gloria.

The author begins the book by telling us how his childhood was. He used to sell newspapers on the street. He was determined despite the everyday challenges he met. The author goes ahead and tells us the importance of smiling, for example, he says a smile boosts the immune system. This is just, but one of the 10 importance, find out the rest. He tells us how one can become successful at a very young age giving examples of successful celebrities like Mark Zuckerberg, the founder of Facebook. The author provides life lessons that I believe will benefit all the readers. Read this book to get more knowledge of this educative and inspiring novel.

The 175 paged novel is divided into 10 chapters each chapter is independent. The story is narrated on the first-person viewpoint. At the end of the book, there is a bit description of the author.

There are several things I like about the book. I must admit that I have read several moving memories and autobiographies, yet none has ever moved me half as much as this one did. The story was well-structured, and the writing was impeccable. These made for an easy and enjoyable read. There were continuous pictures the author used. This grasps the readers’ attention creating a lively and vivid tone in the text, especially when he starts every chapter of the book. There was also an opening quote at every chapter, and a lesson learned at the end of every chapter. What I liked most was the humor in the book, I kept smiling all the time. One of the sentences that turns me off was when the author said, “My dad had a lot of talents, but paying rent wasn’t one of them.”

Though this being a great book, I was disappointed by the editing. I met a number of grammatical errors that would make me believe that the book was not professionally edited.

I choose to rate this book 3 out 4 stars I never gave it full rating due to the many grammatical errors I found in it. I would recommend this book to anyone especially those who enjoy reading motivational narratives.

Schmooze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Absence of evidence is never an evidence of absence
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very inspiring memoir, and a touch of humor is a big plus :) Thanks for this great review!
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Thanks for a nice ride, Phelicia. I enjoyed your informative review :).
pablo10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pablo10.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by pablo10 »

It's always interesting to read the biographies of successful people. Thanks for the detailed review.
AnnOgochukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annogochukwu.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by AnnOgochukwu »

The name of this book caught my interest. I think I'll like this book. And I strongly agree with the author that there are numerous importance of smiling, even in business. Thank you for your informative review. Nice job.
Live and let live, baby.
Kevivas03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevivas03.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Kevivas03 »

The world needs to hear a story of hope against all odds and "Schmooze" does that in a unique way. As an entrepreneur and optimist this story resonates well with me.
honesty_pays
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honesty-pays.html
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino

Post by honesty_pays »

Self-help books that seek to give readers an edge to make money is a must-read. Nice and informative review even though you rated it 3 stars I would still check it out.
Latest Review: Oldogs by Kip Cassino
123Esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-123esther.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by 123Esther »

well written review Phelicia, I've loved these genres and I'm hoping to read it soon.
" You only know that which you have experienced, the rest you are taught"
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an inspiring book for people who are starting their own companies or who are wanting to get ahead in life. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

This would be a very motivating and inspiring read no doubt. Thanks for pointing me in its direction.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

That was a dream ride, Phelicia. This book talks about how to become wealthy at a young age? Never mind, I'm off to add it to my shelves. Thanks for your enthralling review.
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Seems like the book offers some interesting insights. Loved your review!
Lippy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lippy »

I am fascinated about being successful so this book has relived my spirits and determination to become successful

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”