Review by Fernando222 -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fernando222
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernando222.html
Latest Review: If Only by Elaine Blick

Review by Fernando222 -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a...

Post by Fernando222 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book, Serendipity Mystery by R.F. Kristi, comes in as the seventh book in the Diary of a Snoopy Cat series and can also be a standalone detective book. The author’s use of animated characters makes kids the target audience.

Inca is not only a Siberian kitty but also an advanced detective whose sole purpose is to unveil mysteries, crimes, and restore order to neighbourhoods. Inca is a London-based detective. She recruits a set of highly talented agents. Inca encounters a mysterious robbery case in a local museum in Sri Lanka while on vacation, and she is obliged to investigate this sudden disappearance of ancient treasures from the museum.

Kristi chose a brilliant set of personalities in this book. I couldn’t have chosen a better way to reach out to kids than the animated style. I believe children relate easily to animal characters. They tend to be sentimentally attached to cats, dogs, and even hamsters. At first, I didn't think the book to be a children's book because I felt the words ”Serendipity” and ”Mystery” were a bit too much for kids. However, these words would help boost a child’s vocabulary.

Kristi introduced the characters with the use of illustration. Kristi was versatile in character connections. She also gave her audience something to look out for, as Inca seemed reputable. Kristi succeeded in making Inca a role model for kids.

I liked that Inca had a passion for uncovering mysteries. I also appreciated that the crime occurred in a place where historical artefacts were situated. I liked Inca’s refreshing encounters with the turtles and elephants. I liked that the book portrayed the beautiful milestones of Sri Lanka. I loved that Kristi was able to showcase her love for animals with this freshly baked storyline that maintained a well-developed plot.

The remarkable exploits of Inca, as well as the book’s creative soundness, have earned Serendipity Mystery an outstanding four out of four stars. I recommend this book for children who enjoy animal adventure books. I also recommend this book for adults who love historical adventure stories. If you're a lover of romance and horror stories, I'm afraid this book will not suit your read.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I read this book a while sometime ago and had fun reading it. I agree with your points. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like the creative way that the author broaches the book to kids using animal characters. Nice review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Great review, I really like your point about Inca being a strong role model for kids. And I agree; it's never too early to grow kids' grammar. I believe it fosters a love for reading early on. Thanks for your wonderful thoughts.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I am sure that this book is packed with knowledge and information for kids. Nice review!
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

I would love to read this book to my children someday. Inca is a courageous detective, and the book teaches children to be brave. I enjoyed your review.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Nice review. It is detailed and very informative. I have not been able to read any children book here. But, I am moved to do so now.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I love detective stories, and the lovely Inca makes it more interesting. Beautiful review.
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

I'm in love with crime detective stories and movies. I know kids will love it too because they are attracted to animations in books and movies. Great review.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

I like the way the author seems to blend playfulness (such as using animal characters) and usefulness (a clever story and some advanced words to broaden her young readers' creativity and vocabulary) in Serendipity Mystery. Thank you for your review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very fun children's book. I love the fact that the characters are animals. Thanks for your thoughts.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

Greatly written review. Another book to put on my kids' to read list!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love that the author uses cats as detectives. I think children would get a big kick out of that. Thanks for your wonderful review!
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

what an adorable story :) my daughter loves cats and detective stories so I guess this would suit her rather well... thank you for the review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I've read this book too and really enjoyed it. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”