Review by Priyanka2304 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Priyanka2304 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by Priyanka2304 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles is an account of an orphaned teen, Darwin Hastings, who lost his parents in an accident. His ailing Aunt sent him to his cousin, Luther, who was a famous football player living a lavish life, utterly consumed in fame and money. Will Luther prove to be his guardian in providing him the better education and values? Will Darwin let luxury wipe off his moral principles? These questions keep on hovering throughout reading this story.

This is the third book by William I am reading in a row, and I could certainly identify a bunch of parallels in his writing style. Love, emotional turmoil, strained marriages, protests, surgeries, and murders are few of the regulars in all of his works. The book includes sixty-six chapters, arranged into four parts, with graphical illustrations that help to connect with the characters. Every chapter introduces a new character to the story that doubles the thrill of reading this piece. This book raises questions about the lives of rich people and shows us that they may be rich in money but too busy with success to be rich in friends.

I really admired the way the author managed to steer the story in such a manner that the reader is left wondering about which girl Darwin would finally end up. And if you continue to read the story until the end, I am certain you’ll be hugely surprised. The investigation part handled by Laszlo gave a striking spin to the story.

William never fails in bringing up philanthropic causes through his books that leave the readers thinking and speaking to their souls. The way the author depicted the importance of funding for the right project in clinical research and keeping ethics above profits was moving for me.

Darwin’s enthusiasm for educating himself largely elated me. He craved to join a good school and obtain a proper education. He was passionate about earning money and did odd jobs for his cousin. He seemed to be an individual who was always up for learning something new. There are many examples in the book where we will appreciate Darwin for his mature character. He was way ahead of his age and his eyes were full of dreams. He was always fighting for the right motives and supporting the right people. He effectively vindicated his role as the genuine guardian of altruism.

This book contains loads of profanity and also has occurrences of intimacies between the characters. So, I would only recommend this book to adult readers. Medical professionals may find it interesting, as there are a bunch of references to the medical terms scattered all over the story. As William was a practitioner, so we can expect his medical expertise in his writings as well. People having an interest in football will likewise find it amusing, as one chapter entirely covers a field match.

The errors in the book didn’t hamper my reading pace. Because of the length of the book, I read it in a week to erase the boredom. I would award this book 4 out of 4 stars for the interesting plot development and the ability of the author to keep the readers hooked to the last page even in a lengthy read like this.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

Coles' ability to advocate for both moral and ethical uprightness in one's profession inspired me the most.
Great review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A complex family drama and much more in this novel that seems interesting for a lot of people with its mix of diverse elements. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

The length of this book is not a problem since the story is engaging! Great review!
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

I'm a great fan of Coles' books. I won't be letting this one pass under my nose. Thanks for the insightful review.
jennydelacruz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennydelacruz.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by jennydelacruz »

"leave the readers thinking and speaking to their souls" I totally agree. I've read a book of Coles that challenged my emotions and thinking.

I love that fact that Darwin is eager to learn and improve himself. This sounds like another great book that I should read. Thanks for your review.
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

As a doctor myself, I'm certainly interested in this book. Great review!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It takes skill to keep readers engaged in a lengthy book. It seems the author managed to do just that. The book sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

Reading many different books by the same author in a row must be interesting. This one has, by the looks of it, a myriad of interesting themes and tropes. I'm adding it to my want-to-read list. Great review!
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree that Coles has a way of creating characters that draw you in and keep you invested in the story. Darwin's choices and actions made him unique and quite a contrast considering his age. I enjoyed your insights about this book and author. Thanks!
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

This book's plot sounds very interesting. I'm curious to see the characters' development. Thanks for the great review!
Harty Muli
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harty-muli.html
Latest Review: Singularity by Jayme A. Oliveira Filho

Post by Harty Muli »

I like Coles' books and this is one I would want to read. I hope Darwin gets to impact his cousin positively. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

It’s easy for one to become consumed by fame, money, and the pursuit of success. Must find a way to keep those moral principles intact! Thank you for providing this helpful analysis and your resultant reviewer impressions!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Coles excels in creating interesting characters. His plots are definitely character-driven, and he explores the best (and sometimes worst) of mankind. I haven't read this one, but it does sound intriguing. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I agree with your points and ratings. Nice review!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”