Review by Vic Chimezie -- Desert Sanctuary by Fred G. Baker

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Review by Vic Chimezie -- Desert Sanctuary by Fred G. Baker

Post by Vic Chimezie »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Desert Sanctuary" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Crime stories will always arouse our curiosity, but I think it is better to read about them without being directly involved. In Desert Sanctuary by Fred G. Baker, I didn't wish to be in the shoes of any of the characters.

The story starts with an arranged drug buy between the police and the Westside Gang that went sour as there were casualties on both sides. Detective Sanchez was first to walk into the murder scene of a top cop and gang boss in this failed operation. She hears a third party walking away from the crime scene and wonders if it was the murderer or a witness to the murders.

In a remote parish, a new priest, Father John, is in a dilemma on how to handle a peculiar refugee who confessed to witnessing a crime that may claim his life. Father John, therefore, seeks the advice of another priest named Father Montero, who is also a good friend of Sanchez. Father Montero agrees to help this witness and simultaneously help Sanchez prove her innocence of the murders.

Fred is a very creative storyteller! The plot, the timeline of events, and the tone are all spot on. I always felt like I was an eyewitness and felt my heart thumping all through. There was never a dull moment. The way he made even the not so important aspects of the book interesting amazes me. The way he describes Montero's cooking always puts a smile on my face and makes me wish to partake in one of his delicacies. I also appreciate the characterization in this book. The author did not dwell on any character that didn't contribute much to the story. I love that!

There is a total of 28 chapters in this book. Each starting with the date that the events recorded happened. I read that this book is the second in the series, but I did not feel lost. At the end of the book, the author gives us a hint of an additional book in the series. I can't wait!

A fictional crime book is my cup of tea any day, but if you don't like books with curse words and profanities, you might want to skip this one. The book is also professionally edited, and I didn't find any typo. What I disliked most in this book is that I couldn't understand why Detective Sanchez left out vital information. She had overheard the murdered cop talking in hushed tones to someone before he was killed and failed to report it. Despite this, I am glad to rate Desert Sanctuary 4 out of 4 stars. I would not recommend this book to kids due to a lot of cursing, violence, and some profanities. Otherwise, get this one seriously, you will love it!

Desert Sanctuary
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bruno Abia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruno-abia.html
Latest Review: Desert Sanctuary by Fred G. Baker

Post by Bruno Abia »

Thank you for the insightful review. The suspense is just so exciting that I decided to see if other reviewers felt how I am feeling. Fred G. Baker did a wonderful job with this piece.
Lizziemarcel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizziemarcel.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Lizziemarcel »

What I love most about this book is the fact that its engaging, interesting, filled with suspense, actions that will keep the reader glued and eager to know what's going to happen next. The author indeed did a great job.
Thanks for an amazing review 👍
Vic Chimezie

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Lizziemarcel wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 13:42 What I love most about this book is the fact that its engaging, interesting, filled with suspense, actions that will keep the reader glued and eager to know what's going to happen next. The author indeed did a great job.
Thanks for an amazing review 👍
Thank you for finding time to read and comment.
Vic Chimezie

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Bruno Abia wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 05:59 Thank you for the insightful review. The suspense is just so exciting that I decided to see if other reviewers felt how I am feeling. Fred G. Baker did a wonderful job with this piece.
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

I'm thrilled already by the whole murder, mystery, and crime plot. I hope Sanchez proves her innocence. Beautiful review.
Vic Chimezie

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Adanna Inya wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 04:46 I'm thrilled already by the whole murder, mystery, and crime plot. I hope Sanchez proves her innocence. Beautiful review.
I appreciate you for finding time to read and comment.
Marxell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Marxell »

I must say,I love everything about the book already,the storyline and the detective lady. The review is nice and definitely a must read for me.
Vic Chimezie

Post by Vic Chimezie »

Marxell wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 08:31 I must say,I love everything about the book already,the storyline and the detective lady. The review is nice and definitely a must read for me.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a thrilling and compelling crime story. I'll definitely check this book out. Great review!
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

I don't like murder mysteries, so I will skip this one. Your review, however, gives an excellent description of the book and makes it sound worthwile.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

This is a thrilling detective murder mystery about how a sting operation goes wrong. Congratulations BOTD!
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1427
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I love this genre, so I've added this to my WTR list, and after reading your review, I may bump it up to the top of the list! Thank you!

Well-written and highly-rated, today's BOTD is a crime thriller/murder mystery that will hook fans of the genre right from the start! Despite it being part of a series, readers can easily enjoy it as a standalone, but based in the glowing review, I think I'm going to also check out book 1! This definitely sounds like one I'm going to enjoy! Thank you again for your helpful review and keep up the awesome work!
Sharon Onah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sharon Onah »

I love crime novels and the fact that you took out time to leave such a perceptive review is really nice. This will definitely be one of the books I'll read in the near future.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting crime fiction thriller highlighting a police sting, drugs, murder, death, police investigation, and an eye witness. The book is temporarily discounted on Kindle Unlimited and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”