Review by khaulah -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Review by khaulah -- The Secrets of Living A Fantastic ...

Post by khaulah »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life" by Dr Allen Lycka, Harriet Tinka.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secrets to Living a Fantastic life is a non-fictional self-help book co-authored by Dr. Allen Lycka and Harriet Tinka. Dr. Allen Lycka is a cosmetic dermatologist whose life turned upside down when he was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig’s disease and was told he had only six months to live. Harriet Tinka, a former fashion model was kidnapped, attacked, and left for dead by a classmate. These experiences made them strong. They authored this book to share what they learned to help others live a ‘fantastic’ life, although there is no explanation given for what living a fantastic life entails. The book is put together as a conversation between the two authors. They share a total of 13 golden pearls to encourage the readers to transform their lives.

When I took up this book, I expected to read detailed insights by the authors: what went through their minds during the hard times, what emotions did they feel, and how did they deal with what they were enduring. Instead, I found myself reading just another self-help book with different packaging. I was unready for the constant bombardment of every day clichéd quotes that we read on social media on literally every page. Most of the book consists of quotations from other people, stories of other people, and the same old self-help stereotypes: wake up early, think positive and write down three things you are grateful for in a journal.

One section that I did like in the book is about Harriet Tinka’s experience as a model: How she lost ten pounds in just a week and the immense pressure that the models face maintaining their physique. Reading about this makes you realize how society thrives off of our insecurities, making you run after a perfect state that doesn’t exist.

The book does not offer tangible advice for real-life problems like bigotry, sexism, poverty, unemployment, depression, and anxiety. Dr. Allen comes from a privileged place where he can question his diagnosis in a world where some people don’t have access to hospitals. An ordinary person accepts the doctor’s diagnosis without batting an eyelid, whether or not a diagnosis is correct is far from his/her mind. Harriet Tinka’s wrongdoer was jailed for just three months on the charges of attempted murder. While I completely empathize with her traumatic experience, many offenders get away with rape/child abuse. This book fails to address such situations.

Keeping in mind all the points that I made above, I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. I didn’t notice any significant grammatical errors. There is no use of profanity. I would recommend this book to readers who love reading self-help books and like having a book that reaffirms positive beliefs for them.

The Secrets of Living A Fantastic Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Vic Chimezie
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vic-chimezie.html
Latest Review: All The Good Little Girls Keep Quiet by K. Kibbee

Post by Vic Chimezie »

What? U didn't like this book for real? Goes to show that people are just different. I loved the inspiration and motivation offered by the book.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Vic Chimezie wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 13:39 What? U didn't like this book for real? Goes to show that people are just different. I loved the inspiration and motivation offered by the book.
Yes, I have my reasons for it, which I have explained in detail in the review. :tiphat:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

I read the book some time ago and your review offers a different perspective I didn't consider at the time. But I agree with you about the book lacking some practical advice for real-life problems. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

:lol:
Elvis Best wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 16:16 I read the book some time ago and your review offers a different perspective I didn't consider at the time. But I agree with you about the book lacking some practical advice for real-life problems. Great review!
Thanks for taking the time to read my review! I really appreciate your comment.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It does seem a great shame that the authors chose a route of generic advice, when their own stories, properly dissected, may have made a more fascinating and informative read! Thanks for the detailed review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 18:16 It does seem a great shame that the authors chose a route of generic advice, when their own stories, properly dissected, may have made a more fascinating and informative read! Thanks for the detailed review.
You're welcome! That's what I wanted to express. You worded it nicely. Thank you so much for your comment.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I liked how simple and practical this book is. But I will also have to agree with your points. Nice review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Honest-reviewer wrote: 15 Jul 2020, 03:35 I liked how simple and practical this book is. But I will also have to agree with your points. Nice review!
Thank you 🙂
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

I've come across a few other reviews about this book where it was given a higher rating. It was interesting to read your different view on it. Great review!
khaulah
Currently Reading:

Post by khaulah »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 16 Jul 2020, 04:05 I've come across a few other reviews about this book where it was given a higher rating. It was interesting to read your different view on it. Great review!
Thank you! 🙂

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”