Review by NadineRT -- Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NadineRT
Currently Reading: Organic Grief
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadinert.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Review by NadineRT -- Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by NadineRT »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mock My Words" by Chandra Shekhar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar was like binge watching a Netflix show. From start to finish this book was an enjoyable escape from the world. It is a story about a Chinese author doing all he can to make his American wife happy while teaching English literature at a California university.

The main character, David Tan, engages reader compassion from the beginning as he struggles through his first class as a foreign speaking instructor. I was sensitized to not only the excitement and fear of a first-time teacher, but a person with English as a learned language. I immediately and shamefully remembered my early college years as a student highly frustrated with instructors who taught with broken English. Like the first episode of a television series, other key characters were seamlessly introduced.

On David’s first day of teaching, he reflects on what his wife, Laura, would think about his hesitancy in meeting other teachers. We later learn she’s an ambitious woman who gets involved in a public relations scandal. This was an intriguing story line in a time of data breaches. David was also required to give tutoring lessons. On that first afternoon he meets Melissa, a senior with a dream of bringing an invention to market. Chandra Shekhar takes us through David’s first year of teaching to include meeting new friends, engaging challenging students, and struggling with marital tensions. With each page I grew fonder of David as he traversed situations, relationships, and himself during a pivotal time in his life.

I give Mock My Words 4 stars out of 4 for ease of reading an intriguing story that captures human nature in a real sense without exaggeration. I could relate to the emotions and perspectives of the characters despite their unique personalities and backgrounds. I felt like I was with David the entire time listening, guiding, and cheering him through his personal challenges. This book is for those who enjoy a solid story about relatable people navigating a specific time in life.

While I enjoyed the Epilogue for how it tied up loose ends, I would have preferred the story to flush out in more detail. I missed the intimate involvement with David’s thoughts and feelings. Hence, the Epilogue was more like pushing through the last two episodes of a Netflix show to get to the end. I got answers without the experience of creating my own epilogue.

Mock My Words
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Deepa09k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa09k.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Deepa09k »

This book seems like the one I would pick up! And your review is really like watching the promo of a show. Good job 👏

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”