Review by Wy_Bertram -- Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wy_Bertram
Favorite Book: 1984
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wy-bertram.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Review by Wy_Bertram -- Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Wy_Bertram »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Korian" by Giorgio Garofalo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Korian: The Manian’s Spear is a fantasy novel set in the distant world of Endura where, despite decades of conflict between indigenous races, a general tranquillity reigns. But the era of peace abruptly ends when an ancient evil bursts out of unseen cracks and sweeps through the land like a storm, laying waste to everything in its path. In the aftermath of unfathomable chaos, Endura is reduced to a burial ground, and the survivors of the terrible onslaught are forced into long, miserable hiding.

As time passes, more of Endura slowly dies. The world becomes overrun with the Stragoy - armies of undead soldiers held upright by the will of a dark spectre, and soon, all traces of the old Endura exist only in vague memories.

But books of legend speak of salvation. The Azura, a warrior sent by the gods, will one day rise against the forces of evil. However, after years of waiting only prove futile, the question becomes if at all this saviour will surface before there’s nothing left of the world to save.

Giorgio Garofalo, the author of this novel, tells the gruelling tale of three characters over the span of decades. When years of loss and hardship leave them to be little more than hopeless, an ancient prophesy sparks to life, and these outcasts become the face of a revolution.

And that was my favourite part of this story. A classic underdog arc, except you knew from the beginning what the outcome would be, and even then it wasn’t any less satisfying.

I can’t say I found anything unsatisfying about this story. The characters were complex and interesting, the narrative taut – even though the story progressed over the course of years, and the writing style was very enjoyable. The author didn’t settle too much on detail, but every description was a crisp image, and the fantastical world of Endura was consolidated by the odd little creatures that appeared throughout the story.

The writing was neat, and the editing, professional. With negligible use of expletives, it’s suitable for all readers with any interest in the genre.

In Endura, you’ll find warriors, and magic, and something very close to dragons – all in a fascinating five hundred pages that will keep you glued the entire way through.

As for me, this story was a solid 4 out of 4, and I don’t doubt you’ll feel the same way.

Happy reading.

Korian
View: on Bookshelves

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”