Review by LizRM -- One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LizRM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizrm.html
Latest Review: Sugar & Spice by H M Irwing

Review by LizRM -- One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by LizRM »

[Following is a volunteer review of "One Way or Another" by Mary J. Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In summary One Way or Another is a romance written by Mary J. Williams. The story (mostly) follows two lead characters, Calder and Adam. These lovers are from completely different backgrounds but upon meeting they take a chance on testing out a relationship. Each character is surrounded by an amazing support system of well-fleshed out characters. Calder has her three sisters and friends while Adam has his mother and friends. Calder and Adam build a bond over their dedication to success and hard work. This bond, mixed with some guidance from their support systems, is what helps them each through the tough times. This story is also full of interesting foil characters and down-right villainous characters.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The character development shown in this novel was very thoughtful. I absolutely loved reading about each character (and not just the main characters) and how they acted or reacted to situations throughout the plotline. The loving bonds, both romantic and platonic, between the characters felt genuine and not at all forced. It was clear to see their motivations and why they were doing what they were doing.

I also enjoyed the switch of perspectives between each character. It was done smoothly and at just the right moments to keep the story interesting. This element allowed for a little suspense and a smidge of dramatic irony. Just like the character development, this writing choice felt well thought out and purposeful.

Lastly, I loved that the ‘troublesome’ characters worked to further emphasize the relationships between the other characters. For example, the immoral fathers of the Benedict sisters served to bond them closer together. I honestly cannot think of one truly bad thing I would say about this title. It seemed very well edited and I would feel comfortable recommending it to other people.

I would recommend this title to a more mature audience. This book is great for younger adults (people in their 20s for example) because the story is full of younger adults. I would not say this would keep someone older though from enjoying the story if they wanted to read it. However, I would not recommend this for too young of an audience as there are references to sex and sexual situations. These scenes are not too explicit and are within the expectations when reading a romance novel. Overall I enjoyed reading this book a lot, I could not put it down, and could very easily see myself venturing into the sequels.

One Way or Another
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

Of all the reviews I've read on this book, I find yours to be very resourceful. I never had thought of giving this book a try but your review convinced me otherwise. Thanks for the excellent review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”