Review by GiselleBengochea -- The Spirit of Want

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Review by GiselleBengochea -- The Spirit of Want

Post by GiselleBengochea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Spirit of Want" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles, the protagonist Lucy Mac Miel, is portrayed as a self-centered individual whose sole ambition is to benefit from whatever relationship or situation in which she is placed. In the initial chapter she is introduced to Luke Osbourne, a doctor and medical colleague of her father A.J., at a fund-raiser. It is later revealed that Luke’s car has been stripped by professional car-jackers and he has been coerced by A.J .in to accepting a ride home with Lucy. Lucy, a lawyer by trade, has consumed too much alcohol at the party and eventually they end up in a car accident. “A few days after Luke had been sutured and X-rayed and observed for twenty-four hours in a trauma holding-unit and still not able to return to work, the intercom bell from the condo security desk awakened him in the middle of the night. ‘Lucy Mac Miel,’ the concierge said, “and her associate.”(pg. 15) In an effort to protect her legal career, she has Townsend, a criminal defence attorney, go over the details of the accident with Luke. The accident becomes more complicated when a woman’s body is found near the scene of the accident, by the roadside.

“A week later, Lucy asked Luke if he wanted to go to dinner. This was a first try at neutralizing him, he thought. But he was widowed with only rare female companionship these days, and Lucy was a very attractive woman.” (pg.19) “Luke’s doubt about Lucy festered over the next few days. Her denial of possible complicity worried him, and she didn’t seem to have any concern for the dead woman, whether she had been involved or not.”(pg.21)There was an investigation by the District Attorney’s Office which led to a trial before a grand jury. The results of the case: “she was indicted and charged with vehicular manslaughter.”(pg.26) Despite all of this, Luke and Lucy get married before a Justice of the Peace and honey-moon in the Virgin Islands. The charges of manslaughter are eventually dropped and Lucy continues her legal practice. The honey-moon ends abruptly when Lucy receives a telephone call from the office. She is requested to return to the United States in order to defend an evangelist called Hower Bain who is accused of rape.

What I liked most about the book is the author’s sarcastic wit in the portrayal of the central character Lucy. Lucy is supposed to be a prominent and highly successful lawyer at the firm and yet she loses the case in which she was defending the evangelist Hower Bain. As a matter of fact, when she was first introduced to the evangelist who was hesitant to accept her representation, Alan Mc. Cormick, one of the partners at the Law Firm referred to her as “a competent woman.”(pg.35)

What I disliked most about the book is that the protagonist Lucy seems to be conflicted in her worldview and in her emotions. “And she was tired of acting happy. Tired of pretending to have a good time. Why was marriage special anyway? She’d have to face it soon, but with the Bain case and being freed up from the manslaughter worry, her life would be busy, and her career could again become what she wanted it to be.”(pg.33) Lucy appears to be struggling from an identity crisis. She is an adopted child and she does not quite feel as though ‘she fits into the family.’ “They’re racist. Oh, they don’t hang people, but deep down in never-tell land they don’t think that colored folk can think or reason like whites. They still like looking down on those ‘pickaninies’ that tap dance for coins in New Orleans. My great grandfather on my mother’s side was black. That’s what A.J. said once to me. For years they talked about it. As if adopting me was a magnanimous gesture to the underprivileged—in mind and body. I worry about parents who see me as inferior and embarrassing because they think I’m black.”(pg.11)

What I also disliked about the book is the foolish choices that Lucy made. She abandoned relatives, her husband and child to journey to Africa in an effort to follow the evangelist who escapes the country while on appeal. The consequences of her actions are devastating. She is forced to return to the United Sates where she tries to rebuild her career but she cannot regain the respect or normalcy from family ties and former colleagues who have now severed all connections and refuse to forgive her indiscretion.

There are no typographical, grammatical or spelling errors in this manuscript. This book is professionally edited. There is mild profanity but this does not detract from the flow of the narrative. There are no erotic scenes or descriptions even though sexual topics like rape and molestation are covered. The author was able to address these issues without expressing too many unsavoury details. I rate this book as 4 out of 4 and I would recommend this book to young adult and adult audiences who are interested in fiction, mild romance and the consequences of making bad decisions based on a self-centered agenda.

The Spirit of Want
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
GiselleBengochea

:congratualtions-smiley: :good-luck-smiley: I really enjoyed reading this book and I look forward to reading more books by the author, William H.Coles.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melisa Jane »

The story of Lucy seams interesting. I enjoyed reading your review.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
DBNJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbnj.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by DBNJ »

We experience ups and downs in our lives as a result of the choices we made. This seems to be certainly the case when one comes to realize of Lucy's fate in this novel. Thanks for your detailed review!
‘In a world that increasingly obsesses over the gods of power, money, and fame, a writer must remain detached, like a bird on a rail, watching, noting, probing, commenting, but never joining. In short, an outsider.”

-Fredrick Forsyth
GiselleBengochea

:wine: :wine: :o God bless you DBNJ and JM Reviews! Lucy is a definite reminder to us all of the consequences of selfishness :drool: .
moowshiri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moowshiri.html
Latest Review: The Kings Death by Ed Cannon

Post by moowshiri »

I've had the opportunity to read the book before and I can't agree more to all the issues you've raised in the review. The plight of adopted children has been highlighted very well, actually to some point I saw it as a clarion call to all guardians, that they should always provide a favorable environment for their adopted kids. Thanks for the excellent review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”