Review by HanElizabeth397 -- We are Voulhire: The Knight...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Review by HanElizabeth397 -- We are Voulhire: The Knight...

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire is the fourth book in the We are Voulhire series by Matthew Tysz. I selected this book because the description sounded incredibly interesting and I usually love fantasy books. I haven’t read the previous books in the series because I hadn’t realised there were three others until I finished the book. Initially, I was a bit confused about the locations and what side the characters were on. Looking back now, I think this was probably because I hadn’t read the other books. Therefore, I would recommend anyone looking to read this book should start at the beginning. However, while I hadn’t read this particular series, I had read other books by the author so I was excited to get started.

Galen, Rowan and Demetrius have found themselves in Chalethire. Chalethire is a beautiful city that is home to a group of famous knights with supernatural powers. These knights are among the last hope for Voulhire during the civil war but the count commanding the city has other, darker plans.

As soon as I started reading this book I could tell there was a political power play between Chalethire, Virko and Mianora. Each leader had a different agenda and it was really interesting to read about how they intended to put their plans into action. This book had a bit of a medieval vibe, which is common in fantasy, and reminded me of A Game of Thrones or fantasy novels set in the Tudor times. The magical element was fascinating and made the story incredibly gripping.

I enjoyed reading about all of the characters, especially the main three men. Their friendship was very well-written and you felt like they would do a lot for each other. Galen was very innocent and an absolute cutie; in general, he seemed like an all-round good guy. Demetrius’ magical storyline was probably the most intriguing and I loved how his character developed throughout the book. Rowan, while funny at times, was incredibly cocky and very aware of his powers over people, which wasn’t always a positive trait.

Overall the book was well edited, however, there are two parts that could be improved. Firstly, while having a map is incredibly useful in books set in fantasy worlds, this one wasn’t formatted particularly well on my eBook and it was difficult to read. Secondly, there was an error on page 58 where the incorrect word was used. However, these two mistakes didn’t take away from my reading and I still thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars because I was confused for the first 100 pages about the locations, characters and politics. I would recommend having a small summary of the previous books at the beginning in order to give a bit of context for any new readers. However, this may have been different had I read the previous books in the series. I also dislike having chapters that are only one or two pages long, but this is my personal opinion. I would recommend this book to fantasy fans, but I would suggest starting at the beginning of the series!

We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
joenduga12
Currently Reading: How To Be Successful
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joenduga12.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by joenduga12 »

Nice review. From the title on the cover, I thought It was going to be a historical novel about fantasy only. But the political and magical storylines you mentioned in your comment repelled me from reading it. Nevertheless, thanks for your wonderful review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”