Review by Jawden45 -- Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jawden45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jawden45.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Review by Jawden45 -- Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Jawden45 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mock My Words" by Chandra Shekhar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Shekhar did a great job of portraying the adversity bilingual people face when they function in a country where the first language is not their own primary language. It seemed as if Shekhar did stereotype the attitudes of the American students and their attitudes towards non-Americans and their cultures. I believe there were other ways to illustrate the disrespect and disapproval people display towards others that are from other countries. However, I believe the message behind the story was highlighted greatly in parts of the book. The message in this book is important because though America is a melting pot, foreign-born people are typically looked down upon.' Mock My Words' definitely made you feel compassion towards the main character, David, as he was 'mocked', mistreated, and ignored by his students, especially Melissa, colleagues, and wife. David even received the cold shoulder from his father, whom he would have loved to confined in, however, his father greatly disapproved of his marriage with Laura. It was great to read about David's success through all of the diversity and lack of support. Even though he was mistreated and had very little to no support, he continued to strive forward and prosper through his smartness. I would definitely say the book was more interesting than disinteresting. I would rate this book a 3 out of 4.

Mock My Words
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

I absolutely that compassion was my strongest feeling towards David. The author did a good job of getting the reader to care for him.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”