Review by Shiela4ever -- An Imperfect Crime

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Shiela4ever
Currently Reading: Murder in the library
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shiela4ever.html
Latest Review: An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker

Review by Shiela4ever -- An Imperfect Crime

Post by Shiela4ever »

[Following is a volunteer review of "An Imperfect Crime" by Fred G. Baker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are looking for a book that has mystery, suspense, and plot twists, then An Imperfect Crime by Fred G. Baker is the book for you. Peter Simpson is accused of the murder of his best friend and denies nothing, but when a key witness does not show up at his trial, he wishes he had explained what actually happened. On the day of his execution, Simpson meets with Father Montero to discuss any last thoughts he may have and divulges the truth of the murder. After the execution, Father Montero is left with doubt and uncertainty about Simpson’s innocence and the trial in general. With this begins the race to clear Simpson name and find the real killer. Father Montero teams up with one of the lead detectives from Simpson’s case, Detective Lori Sanchez to find the killer and to figure out what happened to Simpson’s key witness.

I enjoyed this book and the mystery and suspense that the author gave to the reader. The story was much different from any other type of murder mystery that I have read and I was on the edge of my seat reading for hours on end to figure out the real killer. The two main characters were loveable and charismatic and they were my absolute favorites. I was really attached to their story and the progression of their lives.

One thing that was really interesting was that I was able to guess certain plot points at times, which some would think is bad but I actually really liked being proved right! I watch a lot of crime shows like CSI and Criminal Minds and An Imperfect Crime felt like one of those shows. The story progressed in the same manner that crime shows do and I was able to follow along and understand everything that was happening.

There were many things that I liked about this story; the characters, the writing, and the mystery. However, I was also left wishing the relationship between Father Montero and Detective Sanchez had gone a different direction. Though this story was not meant to be a romance, the relationship between Father Montero and Detective Sanchez felt like there was something happening and then the author just took it away from the readers.

I would give An Imperfect Crime a 3 out of 4 stars. This book was as close to perfect as I could ask for. There were a couple of grammatical errors or else I probably would give this book a 4 out of 4 stars. This book appeals to those who enjoy a good mystery and a story that changes before your eyes.

An Imperfect Crime
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”