Review by Sheila_Jay -- The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newc...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Sheila_Jay -- The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newc...

Post by Sheila_Jay »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer" by Julie Penshorn.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn is an amazing children’s book that teaches about compassion using animal characters. In this short story, a dog named Blue wanders alone in search of refuge after the family that cared for him relocated owing to bad water. The dog finally spotted a tiny farmhouse and barn and crept inside. He drew the attention of animals in the barn who gathered round him and shared their thoughts about him.

The animals had varied suggestions, some like Portland Pig were very welcoming and offered to share their food. On the other hand, animals such as Ol’ Dot voted to send Blue away for fear that he could be dangerous. Soon, they agreed to host Blue, and since he was starving, Portland shared his sweet potatoes and bread. Later, the animals prepared for Blue a secluded to sleep, and he once again felt at peace.

The next day, the animals continued with the discussions about Blue and reached a consensus to let him stay. In the evening, a coyote attacked the henhouse, but Blue saved the chicken by quickly chasing the coyote in the dark. Jim (the owner of the barn and farmhouse) thanked Blue for his act of courage. Blue’s actions reminded Jim a lot, and after careful deliberation that night, Jim opened his heart to Blue and offered him home forever.

I really enjoyed reading this simple book and was fascinated by the impressive colored illustrations accompanied by nice callouts and short texts. Further, I was truly captivated by this book as it has a great story with key lessons, including kindness and consensus-building, not just for kids but adults too. The message in the book is very relatable to some of the challenges witnessed currently around the world such as the refugee crisis as well as immigration.

Even though the book is short (the whole book is 36 pages), the author neatly packed a beautiful story that left me thinking that the book should be a must-read for all kids. Penshorn made the book even more attractive by incorporating parent and educator guide at the end. The guide can be used by anyone who cares for kids to teach them that they should always be kind to strangers and refugees as they could turn out to be of critical help, just like Blue.

There is absolutely nothing I disliked about this book, and I gladly award it four out of four stars. I would recommend it for children, but it also makes a great quick read for adults as it has a powerful message that is critical for people of all generations. For anyone looking at teaching kids about kindness and consensus-building, then The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn would be handy for you.

The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I agree that the book is a must read for all kids. It's very educative. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

Thank you for taking time to read the review and comment.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”