Review by Florence Nalianya -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Florence Nalianya
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 133
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Review by Florence Nalianya -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Florence Nalianya »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have read thrilling novels but none of them kept me at the edge of my seat like this one. I read this book amidst mixed emotions that at some point I found myself shaking uncontrollably. Stories of sinking ships are extremely thrilling. Have you ever imagined a ship catching fire while in the deep sea? Adrift by Charlie Sheldon takes the reader through this fascinating experience.

A ship by the name Seattle Express catches fire in the Northern pacific ocean. The captain finds it impossible and opts to abandon the ship. The crew escapes using two lifeboats led by Steve and William. They have to make it to the show amidst very harsh weather conditions. They have to face heavy rains, freezing temperatures, and unforgiving tides and waves. They have no food or drinks. They risk death by hunger, freezing or illnesses. The waters in question are among the deadliest in the world. But then, will the coast guards manage to rescue them before the worst happens? There is also a need to tow the Seattle express to the harbor. A large sum of money is to be awarded to whoever will achieve this. Larry and Louise who own a maritime salvage company are out to attempt rescuing the burning ship. They badly need this money to boost their business. They use Warhouse which is their salvage ship to attempt the rescue operation. They need to win the situation before other tugs called upon by Buckhorn arrive. The situation becomes more complicated when it is discovered that William and other crew members in one of the lifeboats have drifted and are lost in the sea. Will the coast guards act on time to contain the situation? Will Marya unite with her father again? As the operation continues, Larry is injured badly. He is quickly losing blood and hung in between life and death. Will he survive? Where will he get the medication that he needs so urgently?.

I loved reading this book so much. The book cover captured my attention immediately which to me helped the author score very well. Sheldon got me absorbed into this story throughout. The plot of this book is excellent. The characters are well introduced and properly fit their part. The author described situations to perfection that they looked so real and engaging. At some point, I felt like I was watching a thrilling movie. The author brought in different situations but still maintained the originality of the story.

There was so little for me to dislike in this book. Among the few challenges, I experienced was having to referrer to the dictionary several times since there was so much jargon employed in the story. I didn’t take much issue with this because the author must have used normal marine terminologies. All the same, a good book should help develop a reader's language prowess. The author brought about so many characters who needed much concentration to follow.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author hit the ceiling by producing an extremely intriguing and thrilling story that sounded so real. The book was professionally edited with very few typing errors. The family issues displayed in this book are true in real life and so provide so many lessons for readers. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading intriguing books with a twist of romance. I also recommend it to those who like sailing and mariners, in particular, to read and understand more about sea operations.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Falconcrest
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Fantastic review, I can tell that you were deeply engaged into this story. Thanks for a very informative and review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”