Review by thaservices1 -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Review by thaservices1 -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by thaservices1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Turn by Matthew Tysz is an intense and unusual novel. In this first installment of the series the reader is introduced to the world as it has become two years after 'the turn'. This mysterious happening has left the world in a devastated state and humanity scattered. People have been left maddened and desperate. Small communities have reformed but the majority of the world is ash. In these returning communities, there are vastly different cultures forming. Some are democratic, some are military-run, some are capitalistic, and others are just gatherings of madness. In this scattered civilization, a former schoolteacher turned slaver begins a bloody campaign of reunification. Meanwhile, an unlikely alliance between a lone scavenger and a scholar assassin begins an adventure to delve into the meaning and purpose of the turn. The slowly unwinding tale of a tortured world begins to unfold.

Tysz is an extremely skilled writer. His level of detail and ability to draw the reader into his story is overwhelming. The world of his devising is haunting and disturbingly realistic. I cannot describe his work as being heavily worded. The writing is direct and he has a knack for conveying large concepts with a minimum of words.

The main characters are deeply developed but in unusual ways. Each chapter is presented from different characters' viewpoints and these reflect off of each other for a constantly developing depth in personalities. Secondary characters also get attentive development and with Tysz's direct style these developments do not become burdensome.

The action is highly detailed and at times stunningly disturbing. It does seem rushed in many places, but I remain unsure if I consider this a writing hiccup or if it was intentional on the part of the author. The more horrific the action, the faster the pace seems to go, almost as if the character is forcing the memory through as fast as possible. The flow of the tale never falters, so I lean towards this being intentional. The horror and gore, as prevalent as it is in the novel, never comes across in a glorified way. It feels like a torturous burden that must be borne. This aspect of Tysz's writing is both what I most like and dislike about the book.

There were quite a few grammatical mistakes that prevent me from giving the book the highest rating, but these are mostly minor mistakes that do not affect the flow of reading. I can recommend this novel to fans dystopian based stories. Fantasy fans should enjoy this as well since this tale seems to be heading into highly supernatural realms. I cannot stress enough that this novel is entirely unsuited for sensitive or young readers. I, personally, am not a fan of horror or gore. Tysz's work I consider to be something else entirely because of its deeply conscious elements. His themes are of recognition and hope of enlightenment, not of revelry in things of darkness. Overall, I found The Turn to be impressive and give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I look forward to reading the next installment in this series.

The Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

This sounds like an intense read! I think I'll give it a pass, but your description and analysis of it are great. Thanks for providing a good review!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

This sounds right up my alley, especially with the author’s ability to draw the reader in. Thanks for such a detailed review!
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

Laura Lee wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 17:26 This sounds like an intense read! I think I'll give it a pass, but your description and analysis of it are great. Thanks for providing a good review!
Thank you very much!
- Roosevelt
thaservices1
Currently Reading:

Post by thaservices1 »

Alyssa wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 19:20 This sounds right up my alley, especially with the author’s ability to draw the reader in. Thanks for such a detailed review!
Thank you! I am sure you will enjoy it.
- Roosevelt

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”