Review by LeDiplomatique -- The Orb by Tara Basi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Review by LeDiplomatique -- The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by LeDiplomatique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Orb" by Tara Basi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A giant, alien, blue ball lands in the futuristic London. The Tramp witnesses its landing. In a twist of actuality, the Orb is worshipped like God and Tramp becomes the Orb’s messiah. A church springs out of the supposition. The believers, known as pilgrims, walk naked while unbelievers wear clothes. The Orb is encased inside a white, sky-high cuboid situated near Hyde Park. Thirty million pilgrims are transported each day through a tunnel, by the gigantic, 200,000-capacity, fair-ground ride known as the Wave to view the Orb, their God. Orb industries uses this ‘God’ propaganda to make tourism money by charging handsome, pilgrimage fees. This revenue is used to run London city.

The Orb is a Science fiction that provides a window into a future London, where technocratic civilization has taken place. Hitherto, Professor Petula Simmons was a scientist who invented the Net, the Record and the Headgear. The Virtual Reality she created became a common communication and interaction tool. One could blink to receive and end calls. Signatures were administered through brain-waves. Bots could drive taxis, clean and do deliveries for citizens. In the setting, London city has parallel, underground levels which are replicas of the open-air level. However, the environment on the levels beneath is artificial.

People are genetically modified. Record memory is encrypted inside brainwaves. When one dies, their record can be used to resurrect them. Peter brings his dead daughter back to life using this process. The fourth version of his resurrected daughter is called Quattro. Quattro is used by the Whisperer to bring Peter and Zip together to make preparations for an Orb event, which is set to occur on the last week of March. Orb industries holds Peter hostage so as to resurrect Professor Petula and the Tramp. Only Professor Petula knew of the Orb event to occur.

The tone of The Orb reflects a highly-imaginative author. I marveled at Tara Basi’s wide variety of futuristic concepts. The scenes are well-organized and vividly-described. The grammar of the book is up-scale. I most like his use of literary devices, such as similes, metaphors and analogy in his writing. Most of the comparisons are unique and hilarious. The characters are well-developed. I have three favorites. Firstly, Peter, the acrophobic scientist. Secondly, Zip, the heretic pilgrim who is hated by both the church and the ungodly. Last but not least, Mathew, the man-turned-robot who yearned to be man again. I least liked the length of the book.

The shape-shifting, gravity deviance and supersonic mobility make it an interesting book, appropriate for sci-fi lovers. The well-developed conflict makes it recommendable to readers who love good plots. The Orb contains some vulgar remarks and one erotic description. I will not rate it 2 stars since it is an amazing book, whose technological elements are grounded in reality. I will not rate it 4 stars due to the errors I came across. I rate The Orb 3 out of 4 stars.

The Orb
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

It does sound like the author has a wide variety of futuristic concepts. That’s an amazing London to consider! Thank you for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

MsH2k wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 01:52 It does sound like the author has a wide variety of futuristic concepts. That’s an amazing London to consider! Thank you for your review.
You are welcome. The imagination of the author was high-end. Thanks a lot for your comment.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

This sounds like a very interesting sci-fi novel! The idea of a futuristic religion is interesting, but I’m not sure if I’d like it. Thank you for your review!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seems like a very interesting book that was written with a lot of imagination. Thanks for the thorough review!
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

An alien blue ball lands in London and the Orb is worshipped like God and Tramp becomes the Orb’s messiah. The concept is well crafted and looks quite interesting. Thanks for your insightful review regarding this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Rayasaurus wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 11:07 This sounds like a very interesting sci-fi novel! The idea of a futuristic religion is interesting, but I’m not sure if I’d like it. Thank you for your review!
Reading the book might change your mind. You are welcome and thanks for your comment. I do appreciate.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

SomeoneInTheWorld wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 09:07 This seems like a very interesting book that was written with a lot of imagination. Thanks for the thorough review!
Very interesting! Thanks a lot for the comments.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

sanjus wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 12:03 An alien blue ball lands in London and the Orb is worshipped like God and Tramp becomes the Orb’s messiah. The concept is well crafted and looks quite interesting. Thanks for your insightful review regarding this book.
Agreed. Thanks Sanjus for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”