Review by OfficialEmma -- Learn to Play Guitar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Review by OfficialEmma -- Learn to Play Guitar

Post by OfficialEmma »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Learn to Play Guitar" by Gareth Evans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learning to play the guitar is a very challenging journey. Many start, but get discouraged and frustrated on the way. I have been a guitarist for over eleven years, and I dare say that it is not an easy journey, especially at the beginner level. I searched through various websites on the internet, and all I found were vague music theory lessons and incomprehensible music notes. All guitarists face this challenge. My journey would have been smoother if I had this awesome material, Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans. It is indeed a comprehensive guide for beginners to intermediate players.

Gareth started learning to play guitar at a very early age. At the age of 10, he was already playing guitar in the orchestra pit with teachers for school plays. He has guitar tuition practice where he teaches students. This book is a product of his experiences and interactions with his students, which helped him decide what content to write in his book.

Gareth Evans did a good job explaining the basics of the guitar and its various parts. The book covers basic theory, techniques, and exercises. I like how Gareth used pictures with simple and known music pieces to illustrate each lesson to ensure that the reader understands the lessons for effective practice. Also, each chapter has a set of questions that draw the reader’s attention to the important details of the chapter.

What I liked most was Gareth’s exposition on basic music theories, terminologies, and challenges of guitarists, especially scales and improvisations. The book was so perfectly structured and written that I didn’t find any negatives. There was nothing I disliked about this book.

As a guitarist, I think this book is a very helpful tool. Many guitarists didn’t learn music in an organized way. As a result, they learn bad habits or unethical music behaviours. For instance, the correct guitar position is within the chest area, so that the fingers can easily flow around the fret-board. But you see many guitarists, especially rock guitarists, sag down the guitar to their waist or laps. This position could hurt one’s wrist. Gareth explained most of these in this book. I strongly recommend this book to actual/potential guitarists and music teachers. There are links to audio files for the theories. No matter your level of music, there are some lessons for you in this book.

The book was very engaging and professionally proofread. I did not find any errors. The book’s pace was well-developed. The author’s writing style was expository and descriptive. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Its perfect structure is worth the rating.

Learn to Play Guitar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

As a guitarist, I think this book is a very helpful tool. Many guitarists didn’t learn music in an organized way. As a result, they learn bad habits or unethical music behaviours. For instance, the correct guitar position is within the chest area, so that the fingers can easily flow around the fret-board. But you see many guitarists, especially rock guitarists, sag down the guitar to their waist or laps. This position could hurt one’s wrist. Gareth explained most of these in this book. I strongly recommend this book to actual/potential guitarists and music teachers. There are links to audio files for the theories. No matter your level of music, there are some lessons for you in this book.
I didn't know there were harmful habits associated with improper learning of this instrument. To be honest, I'm not by any means a musical person, but I'm glad there's a comprehensive guide like this one for people who are. I'm all for any creative outlet.
Thank you!
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

Lunastella wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 09:10
I didn't know there were harmful habits associated with improper learning of this instrument. To be honest, I'm not by any means a musical person, but I'm glad there's a comprehensive guide like this one for people who are. I'm all for any creative outlet.
Thank you!
Thanks for stopping bye, Luna.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”