Review by djr6090 -- Masters and Bastards

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Review by djr6090 -- Masters and Bastards

Post by djr6090 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Masters and Bastards" by Christopher J. Penington.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the late 70s, I was introduced to science fiction. I read Frank Herbert, Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, and a host of others. I devoured their works, marveling at the intricacies of their fictional worlds. Masters and Bastards by Chris Penington is such an intricacy. I enthusiastically recommend it to all science-fiction fans, who require more than the mention of space travel to classify a work as science fiction.

In Masters and Bastards, Penington’s futuristic worlds are the result of Earth’s genetic seeding, accomplished in previous millennia. Three planets were colonized before old Earth disappeared. Two fairly wild planets, Gideon and Rubicon, orbit each other while circling the sun. The third planet, Poltervaut, is an industrialized world and the home of the Imperial Parliament. Its population is divided into two races. The Iberian race governs and considers itself superior. In fact, there is very little to distinguish Iberians from the lowly Arpathians, the worker class. Intermarriage between the two has been unlawful, yet crossbreeding to bring out certain paranormal talents is still being done quietly. The resulting offspring (bastards) do not stand out unless their special talents are fostered and developed.

The central figure in this story is Andreas Marset, an Arpathian bastard. Andreas has inherited the genetic predisposition to telepathy and other paranormal power. Having been carefully mentored in an orphanage, he knows nothing of his lineage. Andreas becomes the focal point of political maneuvering as various women pursue him to conceive a bastard child. The altruistic reason is so that the royal family can unite the two races that have been at odds for so long. But there are other reasons as well. The unification of the human race is crucial, as the three worlds are soon to face the threat of alien invasion.

I appreciated that the author left room for the reader to imagine the prior history of Earth’s DNA seeding. He does not attempt to chronicle the genetic populating of the three worlds. There is no explanation of how the wild creatures that resulted came about. Nonetheless, his description of the beasts and their behavior is vivid and terrifying. I also liked Penington’s humorous names for some of them. In one case, a snaggletoothed feline is called a “smiladon.”

The settings in the story are particularly imaginative. Penington places Andreas in the Imperial palace, complete with a cohort of idle-rich, selfish hedonists. Andreas experiences palace intrigue with an endearing bewilderment. The backdrop is enlivened with banquets, the plots of the evil Crone, and the conversation of the earthy Emperor who is himself a bastard. Later, Andreas has off-world adventures in dusty deserts and steamy jungles and frozen wastelands. I found the settings to be varied and wonderful.

Usually, I am not fond of battle scenes, but I enjoyed the action sequences in Masters and Bastards. Unlike many current sci-fi authors, the writer has his war conducted by real men. In Penington’s worlds, androids had been destroyed and outlawed for many centuries. Thank goodness. I can’t tell you how tired I have become of the machines taking over in other popular stories of this genre. Penington’s pragmatic tactics for tank deployment and ground-level combat are clear and well presented. Since the enemy is an inhuman creature, the author somehow manages to make the violence acceptable. Even though the book sets the battle’s time frame far into our future, Penington does not overwhelm the account with meaningless techno-weapons or futuristic jargon. As the fighting proceeds to a logical outcome, the reader can clearly see why. Even the evolution of Andreas’ power appears rational, as new supernatural talents surface in response to specific threats.

There are a few things I would change if I could. I would have liked to see more of a romantic relationship between Andreas and his love interest. Although there are plenty of steamy sex scenes, there is not a lot of feeling expressed between the participants. A little tenderness would have made the encounters more palatable. The other thing I would change is the book’s cover. I would be lost in the story, happily creating my own mind-pictures, only to have my concepts destroyed by the splash-screen cover every time I paused. In my opinion, the photographic artwork is completely out of line with the sci-fi nature of the book.

I would love to award four stars to Masters and Bastards. Unfortunately, the writing is riddled with errors, mostly misspelled words. Moreover, the errors cause serious misunderstanding; such as, “She confronted the unformed man,” when the word should be “uniformed.” I went back several pages to figure out how the soldier could be unformed. A number of similar errors make me suspect that the book was digitally proofed and auto-corrected. I have to rate the book three out of four stars, at least until it receives some professional editing.

Masters and Bastards
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Finally! A sci-fi book (only marginally based on space), which is not bogged down with oversharing of technological or action scene detail! Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a blow by blow video game instead of reading. The premise of the book sounds interesting, and I think I'm bound to like the author's writing style. I'll definitely be giving this one a look. I loved reading your review. Thanks!
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

I know exactly what you mean. And I hope you get the opportunity to read this book. I'm hoping Penington comes out with more futuristic adventures. He surely has the knack for it.

Your compliment is much appreciated. By the way, where did you get your avatar? It is just lovely.
Kelyn wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 23:45 Finally! A sci-fi book (only marginally based on space), which is not bogged down with oversharing of technological or action scene detail! Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a blow by blow video game instead of reading. The premise of the book sounds interesting, and I think I'm bound to like the author's writing style. I'll definitely be giving this one a look. I loved reading your review. Thanks!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I am reading the book now and haven't completed it yet. I completely agree with you on the cover page. It is almost the thing on which the plot is based but the cover page is created as if to confuse the readers. Otherwise, the book I liked. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Thank you for the compliment! I just did a search somewhere along the lines of "unique pictures involving reading" or something similar and chose from the images Google gave me!
djr6090 wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 11:39 I know exactly what you mean. And I hope you get the opportunity to read this book. I'm hoping Penington comes out with more futuristic adventures. He surely has the knack for it.

Your compliment is much appreciated. By the way, where did you get your avatar? It is just lovely.
Kelyn wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 23:45

Finally! A sci-fi book (only marginally based on space), which is not bogged down with oversharing of technological or action scene detail! Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a blow by blow video game instead of reading. The premise of the book sounds interesting, and I think I'm bound to like the author's writing style. I'll definitely be giving this one a look. I loved reading your review. Thanks!
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

Kelyn wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 19:26 Thank you for the compliment! I just did a search somewhere along the lines of "unique pictures involving reading" or something similar and chose from the images Google gave me!

Thank goodness for Google! :lol2:
Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

What a wonderful review! You covered all the points I usually have questions about when considering a sci-fi book, and many others as well. :D
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

Juliet+1 wrote: 29 Nov 2019, 15:46 What a wonderful review! You covered all the points I usually have questions about when considering a sci-fi book, and many others as well. :D
That is so nice of you to say. I obviously enjoyed the story, which made the review that much easier to write. I hope Penington does a sequel.
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 20 Nov 2019, 11:50 I am reading the book now and haven't completed it yet. I completely agree with you on the cover page. It is almost the thing on which the plot is based but the cover page is created as if to confuse the readers. Otherwise, the book I liked. Thanks for the review!
I'm glad that I am not the only one unsettled by the artwork. I'm sure it would be an easy thing for the author to fix. And next time I will be more cautious of choosing a book by its cover.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Relying on spell check is a killer for sure! Great review!
Spencer Mack
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

spencermack wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 13:02 Relying on spell check is a killer for sure! Great review!
I'm not sure that the author did, but I know my dealings with online checkers hasn't been foolproof. And I'm glad you liked the review.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I’m working my way through this one right now. I’m really enjoying the planet exploration (just spotted the smiladon) and looking forward to seeing what’s the big secret reason for being on Rubicon. Thanks for the great review!
MustaHarleen
Currently Reading: Warrior of Shadows: The Final Battle
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mustaharleen.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by MustaHarleen »

It's apparent that you enjoyed reading this amazing novel. I love that the book is action-packed, hence it won't bore the reader who is reading it. Thanks for your insightful review.
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 14 Dec 2019, 10:49 I’m working my way through this one right now. I’m really enjoying the planet exploration (just spotted the smiladon) and looking forward to seeing what’s the big secret reason for being on Rubicon. Thanks for the great review!
You know, even though it is a long book, it holds the interest from beginning to end. Enjoy! And thanks for reading my review.
djr6090

Post by djr6090 »

MustaHarleen wrote: 15 Dec 2019, 10:30 It's apparent that you enjoyed reading this amazing novel. I love that the book is action-packed, hence it won't bore the reader who is reading it. Thanks for your insightful review.
It's a good day when I can guide someone to a book that I love to share. Thanks for following my reviews.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”