Review by Beatus -- A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review by Beatus -- A Desperate Turn of Events by M J Clark

Post by Beatus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Desperate Turn of Events" by M J Clark.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In December 1777, the British Empire, under King George, had a lot at stake. The Royal Army, the world’s mightiest, had just suffered a terrible defeat in a battle by the American Continental Army. The colonists in America are demanding independence. To lose the resources and trade from America is detrimental to the British Empire. The French and the Spaniards are planning to take this opportunity and join forces with the Americans. King George has only one purpose in mind, and that is to forbid all of this from happening. In his mind, King George is worried that the famous Bible story about David and Goliath is repeating itself. His Empire being Goliath and America being David. His fear stems from the fact that if he grants America independence, all the colonies could follow suit demanding complete freedom.

A Desperate Turn of Events: A Revolutionary Rewrite by M. J. Clark is a classic historical fiction narrative with a twist. I really liked how the events and mannerisms of the characters were described. The 17th Century came alive in my mind. Led by General George Washington, the Americans struggled against the biggest and most sophisticated army in the world at that time. The only option was to stick it out and survive long enough.

The author molded the characters beautifully. The mannerisms of the British King and his aides really fascinated me. The book starts off with a messenger en route to Buckingham Palace to deliver a report on the status of the rebellion in America. The suspense starts right from there. The story is beautifully interwoven between England and America. The scenes are so detailed the reader is immersed in the narrative immediately.

The only thing to dislike despite the book’s brilliant structure and flow were several glaring mistakes. This definitely shows that thorough editing was not done. It is the only factor that makes me award the book A Desperate Turn of Events: A Revolutionary Rewrite by M. J. Clark 3 out of 4 stars. The story’s quality will dramatically improve if a round of editing is done. I did not find any sexual, offensive, or religious remarks that will upset anyone.

Yes, this book is about war. However, it will be a lovely book to anyone that is a lover of good historical fiction as the author didn’t go too deep on the violence. I will also recommend this book to young adults that will be interested in a history lesson. Being an African, this book has made me an American revolutionary in just a few days. At least in my mind.

A Desperate Turn of Events
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

What a fascinating story! I learned all the usual stuff in school about our American Revolution, but I don't remember much of it. I'll have to get hold of a copy of this book. Thanks for a great review. :D
Anna180
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anna180 »

Reminds me of school😄
Thanks for the great review, i am not a fan of violence be it it real life..books or movies but thanks to MJ Clark
Looks like he knew people like me exist..people who love history but yet not a fan of diging deeper especially about violent events
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I love historical fictions and think I'll look into this book! I'm glad you mention the religious aspects, as I am not interested in overly-religiois historical books.

Nice, informative review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”