Review by Bhaskins -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Sn...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Review by Bhaskins -- Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Sn...

Post by Bhaskins »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi is the 7th book in the Inca Cat Detective series. The book starts with a cute picture of all the main characters in the series laid out in a family tree. Inca, the leader of Inca & Company is the head of a detective agency she runs along with a host of other animals. This book is set in Sri Lanka on the beach where Inca, her mom, and siblings are visiting on holiday. While there a sword goes missing from a local museum. The local authorities call in Solo, a well-known international detective, and Terrance his trusty dog helper. Solo and Terrance live next to Inca at home and they welcome the thought of them joining the holiday. The book winds through clues, days at the beach, and help from local animal friends to find the thief and return the missing sword.

What I liked the most about this book is the adorable cast of characters. Inca is the leader and head detective of Inca & Company. Fromage is Inca’s brother and Cara is her sister. They hang out with a hamster named Charlotte and a dog named Terrance. There is a good amount of adventure, mystery, and problem-solving. It’s also very sweet and has some nice messages for kids around working together and the importance of family. I appreciated that there was enough context given in the images at the beginning of the book to know who the characters are and some of the background from previous books in the series. This was book 7 and I was able to pick it up and read it as an independent book.

What I disliked most was the repetitiveness of the descriptions. This book was set on the island of Sri Lanka and the author only used “golden sand” to describe the beach. I was looking for more details or some other language to get a sense of the beach. The words golden sand were used more than five times to depict the same setting.

This book would be perfect for kids who like a little mystery but aren’t yet ready for major thrills. The content was not graphic and pretty light. The characters were cute and likable. I would put this book at maybe a 2nd to 3rd-grade reading level and it felt very age appropriate and I didn’t notice any words that an average child might find too difficult.

Overall I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was well written and well-edited. I did not notice any errors, but I do feel like the formatting was a bit off in spots. It seemed like there was a lot of space between paragraphs and some of the pages breaks were not logical. I also couldn’t give it a full 4 stars because there was a lack of depth that could have improved the quality of this book. If the author had more vivid details I think this could make it a 4. Overall it’s a good story and one I could see kids liking. I believe it’s a good series to get kids started into mysteries.

Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

Nice review!! Having read and reviewed a few of Inca's adventures, I can say that I am a fan! I loved this story set in Sri Lanka because they meet an Elephant, a turtle- creatures they have not met before- and become friendly with them. The story brings out that respect and co-operation with each other can help overcome all odds!
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Manali_DC wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 01:07 Nice review!! Having read and reviewed a few of Inca's adventures, I can say that I am a fan! I loved this story set in Sri Lanka because they meet an Elephant, a turtle- creatures they have not met before- and become friendly with them. The story brings out that respect and co-operation with each other can help overcome all odds!
The story was so cute and I loved the themes and messages for kids!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

I read and reviewed this cat tale too! That initial family tree was a super helpful touch indeed, and the early morning ice cream delights would sure make for a sweet beach vacation. Glad you liked the book as well.
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

Seems like such an adorable children book. Thanks for the great review!
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Wonderful review! It seems like a cute and educative series for children. I appreciate authors who insert elements of education among the fun, exciting storyline.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

In my opinion, this is a good book. But I see why you did not rate it 4/4. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”