Review by Vivianne Nat -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by Vivianne Nat -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Van112 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever had the odd sensation that you’ve known or met people before? The unusual feeling of seeing things for the first time and it seems like you’ve seen it somewhere? That feeling of déjà vu.

Samyann’s story of reincarnation entitled Yesterday is a beautifully knit love story that transcends time. I am not a believer of life after death. However, this book somehow intrigued me and I don’t regret giving this a chance. Written in the third person point of view, this book is a delightful story of time travel. It is light and an absolute joy to read.

Our story starts with Amanda Parker, a girl who in her life has already experienced great loss. She vowed she will never again get attached to people because she believes it can lead to more loss. One morning, she sees a mounted police officer who needs saving and without further ado, along with adrenaline rush, she’s able to save the man named Mark Callahan. From that moment of saving, their lives seemed to have intertwined. Mark has fallen head over heels with Amanda and it certainly wasn’t the case with her. He then tries his best to win the heart of the girl he loves with his perseverance and dedication. With the help of an old grandfather clock from an antique shop, feelings are reawakened. They both discover that they are not just strangers to one another but they have a past in another lifetime. There’s more to their story involving the Civil war and the Chicago Fire. Join the two as they explore their past lives together along with Amanda’s godmother, Mary. Will our star-crossed lovers end up together or will they give up on one another?

This is definitely a story worthy of one’s time. I am not a fan of historical fictions but I enjoyed going through a part of the Civil War and a glimpse of the Chicago fire. The author has his way of presenting what happened during those times and it felt real to me. Incorporating romance into something historical is a creative way for the author. I love the flow of the story and how organized the time jumps from present to past. The the story is flawless as one jump from the past leads to the solving of the mystery of another era. I also appreciate the author’s writing style when it comes to emphasizing the thoughts of the characters. Italicizing them lessens confusion among readers. It makes the story more real wherein readers can jump into the characters themselves. The author also put a lot of effort into the regression therapy part which is a good deal for the book.

The main characters in the story are well-rounded. We get to see them go through a mixture of emotions and readers can relate to them. Amanda starts as this depressed young adult and comes out of it triumphantly in the end, breaking out of her limitations. Meanwhile, Mark, has this quirky persona which makes his character relatable and a little bit annoying at times. He is not just the typical definition of a strong gentleman but the story also showed that he can be weak and emotional, too. I am glad that the character of Mary was given importance not only because she is the shrink that helps them get through the process, but because she is more than a godmother to Amanda and somehow balances the two characters. The characters from the past experience a roller-coaster of emotions as well and you get to watch their growth along the way.

I was not too keen about the scattered cursing in the story. For me, it kind of took away the innocence or magic of the story. Aside from that, the protagonists are into a lot of drinking as you can read when you flip the pages. Apart from those, there are no grammatical errors to take note of.

I recommend this book to young adults and avid readers of romance stories. I am pretty sure they’ll fall in love with the characters and the plot. Also, this is an interesting read for historical enthusiasts and those who are fans of life after death. I give this book a rate of 4 out of 4 star with the perfectly-thought-out plot and exceptional writing.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”