Review by Wokeread -- Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wokeread
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Wokeread -- Conflict on the Yangtze by Greg Kater

Post by Wokeread »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Conflict on the Yangtze" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Conflict on the Yangtze is the fourth book written by Greg Kater featuring Jamie Munro and Jack “Jacko” O’Brien. It follows on from the Warramunga trilogy and is set in post-war China in early June 1946. Jamie and Jacko met in Syria, in the early part of the Second World War. They now work together for the Commonwealth Investigations Service (CIS) in northern Australia and are based in Darwin. CIS was set up with the aid of MI6 and the two organizations still work closely together.

When MI6 loses one of its operatives in China, Colonel Johnny Cook of MI6 calls upon his friends, Jamie and Jacko, to step in and support the investigations. Commander Daniel Stafford and his colleague, Lee Drake, are on a mission to China to track down criminals smuggling opium out of China into the USA, Australia, and the Philippines. Whilst investigating a large field of opium poppies in Zongyang County, three miles west of the Yangtze River, where members of the criminal group are processing opium, the two MI6 operatives are unfortunately discovered and promptly shot at. Only Lee is able to escape.

Jamie and Jacko are joined in the investigations by Harry Williams Jr., the chief of a US intelligence agency in Manila. The story follows Jamie, Jacko, and their colleagues as they endeavor to find and stop the opium smugglers. As the two make inroads into the case, their wives, Carna and Monique, have a few thrilling adventures of their own, along with Jacko’s half-sister, Sarah. Once more, Sarah’s skills as a bush tracker come in handy.

I have read two of the Warramunga books so I’m familiar with most of the characters in this book. They are interesting and relatable. Jamie and Jacko do not take themselves too seriously, as can be seen from their easy banter and their ability to joke even when going through challenging times. The enduring friendship between the two is admirable. Their remarkable dedication to one another and their jobs is refreshing. Sarah, although described as a small black girl, is the real hero of this story - superbly demonstrating her expert skills.

The book is well written and easy to follow. What I liked most was how the political background against which events take place is set out since it plays a vital role in the investigation. Although the war is over, China is rocked by battles between the Kuomintang government, the communists and the many bandit gangs all over China. The investigators inevitably have to take into consideration the possible implications of this, such as ongoing violence, rogue gangs, and possible corruption within the government.

I love the way Greg Kater is able to naturally bring the picturesque scenery to life through vivid descriptions. We follow the group on their perilous journey up the Yangtze River; through the Chinese woods and the bustling streets of Shanghai; to Llorente in the Philippines and back to Roper Bar in Australia. It felt like I was there with them.

There is plenty of action, made even more realistic by the fact that our heroes do not always escape unscathed. There was nothing about this book that I disliked. I found it well edited with only a couple of errors.

I rate it 4 out of 4 and recommend it to readers of historical fiction, adventure, and criminal mysteries.

Conflict on the Yangtze
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”