Review by LeDiplomatique -- Cooperative Lives

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Review by LeDiplomatique -- Cooperative Lives

Post by LeDiplomatique »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Cooperative Lives" by Patrick Finegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a contemporary fictional story that centers around the residents of an apartment building. Cooperative is a high-rise, 35-story complex near Central Park South in Manhattan, New York. The characters of the story are residents and affiliates to the residents of this exclusive apartment building. Cooperative Lives is a drama that thematically revolves around mystery, deception, betrayal, embezzlement and espionage. It brings together rich characters from various professions, mainly, law, IT, medicine, intelligence, finance, literature. The protagonist, Hanife Kaplan is a Kurdish, bilingual, government-trained call-girl. Her life is tied to the other characters in one way or the other.

The title of the book is interesting. The V in 'Lives' is canceled out to read Lie-s. This insinuates that Cooperative Lives is a story about lies and deception connected to Cooperative residents. The twisted plot portrays a patient and an organized author who enjoys unleashing his gems bit by bit. For starters, he provides light information on characters then gradually, he progresses to reveal deep secrets and mysteries. It is not only a story about the inhabitants of a certain cooperative, it's also a story about how their lives are intertwined through incidences and occurrences. These incidents and occurrences, consequently, form a web of complications that threaten to distort the security of their apartment building and the state.

Patrick Finegan uses strong, sophisticated language to narrate the story. In addition, the storyline is rich in vocabularies, metaphors and analogy. He has arranged the story in a way that the chapters start with a timeline. This makes the story easy to follow. Moreover, a traffic-related saying introduces each chapter. Cooperative Lives is written in complexity. Therefore, it takes patience and a clear mind to comprehend the intricate plot. However, it is a captivating story that a reader may find hard to put down. It contains far-spaced, borderline profanities and slight erotic content. The book is professionally edited.

I liked most, the author’s style of revealing information bit by bit. Consequently, this fills the reader with curiosity to dig deeper. His creative characterization and narration imparts a feeling of being an active participant in the lives of the characters. I did not like anything least because the book is written well. Nevertheless, the complexity is overwhelming. I had to read and reread in order to comprehend what the author was driving at.

I recommend this book to the readers who love complex storylines and those who have the patience to read between the lines. This book is a treasure field; one has to dig, with patience, so as to find the hidden gems.

I came across one minor error. I will not rate this book 3 stars because its plot and grammar are exceptional and it is professionally edited. The quality of the script is very high. I rate the Cooperative Lives 4 out of 4 stars.

Cooperative Lives
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I like that the high-rise building is a kind of metaphor about life and its complexities. Thanks for a very insightful review on this book.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A contemporary fictional story that centers around the residents of an apartment building appears to be interesting. Thanks for your review which gives nice insight about this book.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

This must be an interesting story; full of drama and suspense. It looks like something I can read in the future. Thanks for the great review.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Wyland wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 08:56 I like that the high-rise building is a kind of metaphor about life and its complexities. Thanks for a very insightful review on this book.
Wow! I had not thought of the building as a life metaphor, you are right. Thanks a lot.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Nkoo wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 13:58 This must be an interesting story; full of drama and suspense. It looks like something I can read in the future. Thanks for the great review.
You are welcome and thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

LeDiplomatique wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 06:47 The V in 'Lives' is canceled out to read Lie-s. This insinuates that Cooperative Lives is a story about lies and deception connected to Cooperative residents.
Good eyes! I agree there were a lot of hidden gems in this book. Loved your review!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

MsH2k wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 00:28
LeDiplomatique wrote: 06 Nov 2019, 06:47 The V in 'Lives' is canceled out to read Lie-s. This insinuates that Cooperative Lives is a story about lies and deception connected to Cooperative residents.
Good eyes! I agree there were a lot of hidden gems in this book. Loved your review!
Sure, the hidden treasures are plenty. My pleasure and thanks a lot for stopping by.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

sanjus wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 03:26 A contemporary fictional story that centers around the residents of an apartment building appears to be interesting. Thanks for your review which gives nice insight about this book.
I love your personal quote. Actually it's a new one since I haven't heard it before. Thanks for checking in and commenting.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

A story of how the lives in an apartment building intersect and affect each other, very interesting. It sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for your well-written and informative review!
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Prisallen wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 08:59 A story of how the lives in an apartment building intersect and affect each other, very interesting. It sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for your well-written and informative review!
Its truly a great book despite the difficult language. You are welcome and thanks for stopping by.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

At first glance, I thought this might be a sci-fi book with a play on the word "corporation" rather than cooperative. Alas, no. Still, it sounds like a book soundly based in the reality of how the interactions of people affect each other. Not my cup of tea, but I'm sure those who like this style will enjoy it. Thanks for the review!
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Prisallen wrote: 10 Nov 2019, 08:59 A story of how the lives in an apartment building intersect and affect each other, very interesting. It sounds like something I would enjoy. Thank you for your well-written and informative review!
You are welcome and thanks a lot for passing by.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This story is mesmerizing and complex. I love all the elements you have skillfully highlighted in your review. This is definitely going on my want-to-read shelf. Thanks for a very captivating and exceptional review.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Falconcrest wrote: 13 Nov 2019, 04:51 This story is mesmerizing and complex. I love all the elements you have skillfully highlighted in your review. This is definitely going on my want-to-read shelf. Thanks for a very captivating and exceptional review.
You got that right. I enjoyed reading it. I am glad you like it and thanks a lot for passing by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”