Featured Review by Ashley Adorno -- Back to Serve

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashley Adorno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-adorno.html
Latest Review: Back to Serve by CW3 Cesare Giannetti U.S. Army (Ret.)

Featured Review by Ashley Adorno -- Back to Serve

Post by Ashley Adorno »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Back to Serve" by CW3 Cesare Giannetti U.S. Army (Ret.).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The fictional memoir, Back To Serve by Cesare Giannetti is about Nico Corretti, an Army officer who is about to be retired. With being retired, he is able to spend more time with his family, but he feels lost. After officially becoming retired, he sets off on a road trip to go to his new home and start his new life with his family. Along the way to his family who has moved to Florida to get away from the frigid winters of the Northeast, he stumbles across a Russian woman who gives him information that sends him spiraling. The Russian woman’s information causes him to worry about how safe he truly is, and about his family’s.

Nico needs to decide how to react and what to do, which can be difficult while he is trying to adjust to his normal life. However, as he does begin adjusting, he gets dragged back into his career and sent to the Middle East once again. This opportunity holds the possibility for him to avenge his fallen men while also allowing him to further investigate the issues brought up by the Russian woman. In turn, this permits him to seek out the truth, or as much as he could to ensure his safety and his family’s.

I fell hard for this book. It drew me in almost immediately. I loved the action, the flashbacks of Nico’s past experiences, the development of the characters, and their thoughts. This book was well written and enjoyable. It was perfect for me, though I believe it is definitely a book best fit for high school students and adults due to the language used and the themes.

I would recommend Back to Serve to those who enjoy historical fiction. This book was wonderfully written and very intriguing when it came to the plot and characters. I found myself enjoying every little piece of information included in the story, even when there was not much action occurring during those scenes. If it was something small like Nico and his father discussing baseball, a passion which they both share, it would still pull me in.

The fact that so much depth was included in the characters’ lives and personalities made me fall deeper in love with this book. I also really liked the twist in the plot; I did not see it coming and it surprised me. I was definitely thinking like Nico up until that part, so I was very drawn into the plot and the main character. I could not put this book down, so I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed how we were given a glimpse of what it would be like for people in the military to retire and have to give up everything they have known to go live a normal, peaceful life. I also like how that even though the book is historical fiction, it shows that people may actually get forced back into military life, even though they were hoping to be with their families. Sometimes, the past haunts us, until we reshape our future.

Back to Serve
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nana2_
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Nana2_ »

The fiction book was really great and I kind lived your ways of describing the story merely and in a brief, however. That was the best review, thanks.
mitali_kasture
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mitali-kasture.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by mitali_kasture »

A soldier will always be a soldier. That's all I want to say!
derialist
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-derialist.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by derialist »

I haven't read this type of book before, but I'd definitely read it one of these days. No doubt I'll find a lot of memorable and interesting action scenes in this combat-based novel. I'm curious to discover what made Nico return to serve in the military having retired earlier.
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

derialist wrote: 24 Sep 2020, 06:54 I haven't read this type of book before, but I'd definitely read it one of these days. No doubt I'll find a lot of memorable and interesting action scenes in this combat-based novel. I'm curious to discover what made Nico return to serve in the military having retired earlier.
That is for the readers to find out themselves. A novel based on soldiers' combat would be full of actions.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
AbhyarnaAman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarnaaman.html

Post by AbhyarnaAman »

This book would shed some light on the psyche of soldiers. How duty-bound they are for their life.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.
By Rob White
Abi_kanda
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-kanda.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Abi_kanda »

A book full of action! What more could I ask for. Great review.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Truth and Evil
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Post by Bertha Jackson »

I think it is common for retired military personnel to have a difficult time adjusting to a normal live. They love their country and want to serve it.
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Zand13
Currently Reading: Life, Loss and Love
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zand13.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Zand13 »

It seems relatively interesting, seems to sets up a voyage into the soldiers deep dark depths of a tortured mind...has piqued my curiosity. Thanks you for the informative review
Kyhm
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyhm.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Kyhm »

I've always loved action films. It's something that my family and I would watch together. Your review really peeked my curiosity and it gave me the feeling of excitement! I love a good plot twist so I'd like give this book a try!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

Action packed book? I'm hookeed. Thanks for the review.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
vmcelwee85
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vmcelwee85.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni

Post by vmcelwee85 »

You write beautifully! I don't usually like books like this but you convinced me that I need to read it. Thank you!
Shannon Pendergrass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shannon Pendergrass »

This review makes me want to read the book right away. My son is a veteran and his transition back to civilian life has been hard on him.
fancyjg
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fancyjg.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by fancyjg »

Great review.
This book seems interesting it being based with military characters makes it more captivating to want to read.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

A tale of military veteran adjusting to civilian life is quite interesting. I would love to know the MC’s thought processes about this.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”