Featured Review by dingans -- Letters to Sis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dingans
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dingans.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Featured Review by dingans -- Letters to Sis

Post by dingans »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Letters to Sis" by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret).]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The memoir Letters to Sis by Cesare Giannetti is both a tribute to the author’s sister, Marisa, and a recollection of his early years in the US army, including his postings to Germany before the Iron Curtain fell, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait during the Gulf War and Bosnia and Herzegovina for peacekeeping following the Balkan conflicts. He achieves this by blending personal anecdotes with copies of the letters he sent to Marisa, his most-faithful pen pal from home, until her death from breast cancer.

Whether writing about basic training exercises at Fort Jackson, drunken nights in German villages or the loss of his sister, Giannetti takes a candid warts-and-all approach. It was probably a good choice to write the book after his retirement from the armed forces, when he could be unfiltered. I found the author’s portrait of his youthful antics and travels around Europe entertaining and endearing.

Another strength of the book is Giannetti’s close witnessing of three major international events of the 1990s: the fall of the Soviet Union, the Gulf War and the aftermath of the Bosnian War. For those who aren’t familiar with the history (or have understandably forgotten), the author provides basic summaries, but I never found the story was bogged down by these. In the recollections, the reader gets both the excitement the author and his fellow soldiers experienced - “we were just days away from going to war and saving the world” - and the mundane realities, such as living out of tents in the Kuwaiti desert. The author’s style made this an easy read.

I’d be hard-pressed to fault the book. Throughout the eight-year correspondence, there are just a couple of Marisa’s letters included. Although the reader might have appreciated hearing a bit more of Marisa’s voice, this may be down to logistics – the author’s letters survive because his sister deliberately saved them. However, the reader gets a pretty strong portrait of Marisa from his letters and anecdotes from time he spent in the US.

The final chapter was on the brief side. I would have been interested to learn a little more about the author’s post-army career. After connecting with the extended Giannetti family (including Marisa’s husband), it would have been great to get a bit more information on their lives.

The story was edited to a professional standard, with only minor issues.

Overall, Letters to Sis offered me a glimpse of a career and world I know very little about, and a view of recent history beyond what you get in the textbooks. I rate this book four out of four stars.

Letters to Sis
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

I think you are right, the book could have been more in-depth. However, I think it was written in memory of Marisa. That was the point. He didn't set out to write a book on himself. Considering that, I can see why it wasn't more in-depth because it wasn't really about him, from his perspective. So, it falls short as a book on him, but does well as a book in memory of someone else, maybe?
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
Gift5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gift5.html
Latest Review: Shield Down by William de Berg

Post by Gift5 »

Thanks for your honest review. although am not into this king of books.
DANAWEB
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danaweb.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by DANAWEB »

Interesting memoir with lotof historical events and facts involved. I have really enjoyed your review! :techie-reference:
Mtibza eM
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtibza-em.html
Latest Review: Am I Burned Out at Work? by Salar A. Khan MD, MBA

Post by Mtibza eM »

Interesting indeed. Memoirs are beginning to have a special place in my heart. Thanks for insight and we'll detailed review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”