Review by Dragonsend -- Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review by Dragonsend -- Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Dragonsend »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sundown" by Carl H. Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Carl H. Mitchell has delivered a unique crime/mystery novel, Sundown:Engineering Gives the Devil a Sunburn. It is the year 2057 and the world's oil supply has been severely depleted by a bioengineered DNA strand that turned the oil into an unusable sludge. The world has been drastically changed by this development including the minimilization of the medical field due to strict regulations being placed on bioengineering and DNA research, The loss of resources for the production of electricity has left this in short supply. President Allison has had a solar grid built over the city of New York, if this endeavor works the world will once again have an infinite supply of electricity. The Vice President is murdered and the intrigue begins. Who would benefit from the failure of the grid and who would stop at nothing to undermine the President's project for a better world?

One of the most enjoyable aspects of this book was the many relatable characters. Nick, a detective for the police department is well developed and his seemingly bumbling demeanor makes him a very endearing character. Two other characters stood out for me as well, Half-Penny, a teenager who worked for a group of people who kidnaps infants but is arrested by Nick, and another youth who Nick encounters during the investigation of the death of the Vice President. These characters brought a great dynamic to the story and their dialogue endeared this book to me.

This book stood out in another way as well, the author has brought some dystopian elements to the story. The world's resources are greedily controlled by a group that has touted uniting the world while manipulating the laws to help them maintain control of the remaining resources. This has wrought negative changes to the world, especially where law enforcement is concerned. Different factions of police are now being implemented within the various levels of government and within the separate communities. This makes for interesting tensions in the book.

The main critique I had for this novel was the cover. With such a catchy title , I thought the cover was a little dull. I think this could be a detriment to the overall sales of the novel.

I awarded Sundown: Engineering Gives the Devil a Sunburn four out of four stars for it's one-of-a-kind ideas, excellent dialogue and action. I recommend this book to audiences who enjoy a fast-paced read with a simple plot but plenty of stuff packed in to keep the pages turning. There was no explicit violence, even though this is a crime novel, and another surprise, no vulgarity or course language. All readers of mystery and crime would enjoy this novel.

Lastly, this novel was well edited and I only found a couple of very minor mistakes. Entertaining, simple and unique, I hope you enjoy this little gem.

Sundown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This is the first review of this book I've seen that mentions Half-Penny and the other young character. That adds another dimension to what sounds like an interesting science fiction thriller.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

esp1975 wrote: 04 Nov 2019, 17:10 This is the first review of this book I've seen that mentions Half-Penny and the other young character. That adds another dimension to what sounds like an interesting science fiction thriller.
These two young boys added a very human element, and the dialogue and relationship between them and the protagonist were exceptional.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”