Review by Beatus -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review by Beatus -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Beatus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings is a book about friendship. In my opinion, it is also a book about fly fishing. I am living in Arusha, Tanzania in the Eastern Parts of Africa; I had to look up the word wader, ha! In short, this book really schooled me about fly fishing to a point I felt that I might just become one. The book started off slow and personal. Being a man I kind of felt like I am eavesdropping on a lady's private thoughts, particularly when the women were narrating their lives or just thinking.

The author really nailed it with the type of characters she chose for the story. Being female and from different backgrounds makes the reader want to see how they can actually forge a friendship. It is very unusual of me, a lover of action and thriller, to be so interested in the story that I just gobbled it up in one sitting. I really liked how easy to read this book was. The font, the flow and the wording just made my reading a ride in the park. It is one of those books that gets you to really get into someone else's mindset and actually enjoy it.

Sophie, the lady whose passion for fly fishing brought the whole band of different-minded, but fun-loving women to try the sport, and ended up forging the most durable friendship bond I have ever read in a story, is my star. From getting away from the "concrete jungle" or "from it all", Sophie and her friends, Veronica, Rose, Amanda and Melody found themselves bound by fly fishing activity, the experiences gained from it and sharing what made them who they are. Melody's dramatic entrance into the group was so epic but definitely added to the group what was missing. Being swept by the river right into their lives and hearts reminded me of how life can bring you the best things in such a dramatic manner.

The book is clearly written and professionally edited as I did not find any errors. There is nothing that I did not like at all, in fact, I totally fell in love with the place where all this was happening, Colorado. The book is arranged very uniquely. All the chapters have names of the characters that made them appeal more to the reader. This approach bolstered their individuality and made them relate to their friendship in an extraordinary way that made it even stronger.

I rate The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings 4 out of 4 stars. This is not only because it has all that is needed to get full rating but also because it illustrates the meaning of real, meaningful friendship and thus suitable for almost everyone. However, those that love fly fishing will definitely have more than a bargain as they will have so much information on the sport.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I've never met anyone from Tanzania! It sounds like such a cool place. Nonetheless, I'm glad you found the book both enjoyable and entertaining. Great review!
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I'm glad you liked it. I wondered if it would appeal to men as well as women. Would have loved for it to keep going, I felt so comfortable with the 'sisters.

Thanks, so much, for your valuable point of view.
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

It is very educative. Fly fishing seems like a great game to embrace. I love your review, it's great. Thanks for insight.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I'm glad the magic of literature offered you a sneak peek the female mind! And I loved your candid review, thank you!
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I loved your aspect of the review, it's not often I see reviews offering a different perspective from the opposite sex. I need to add this to my reading list!
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

I'm yet to come across anyone who didn't enjoy reading this book. Reading another review of this book from a male is refreshing and interesting as well. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.
Anna180
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Anna180 »

Now i wish to try fly fishing too. I like it when a book is easily readable by having less compelecated grammar.
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

I loved this book just as much. Thank you for your perspective and interesting review.
Adeleye Seun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeleye-seun.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Adeleye Seun »

Dealing with people from different background or ethnic can be an headache, but Rose, Veronica, Amanda and Sophie, didn't not just come together as one but also work on the same goals.... This is a great review
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-indiana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I've never met anyone from Tanzania! It sounds like such a cool place. Nonetheless, I'm glad you found the book both enjoyable and entertaining. Great review!I loved this book just as much. Thank you for your perspective and interesting review.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-indiana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I'm yet to come across anyone who didn't enjoy reading this book. Reading another review of this book from a male is refreshing and interesting as well. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”