Review by Lions2019 -- A Bundle of Colorful Yarns

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lions2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lions2019.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Review by Lions2019 -- A Bundle of Colorful Yarns

Post by Lions2019 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Bundle of Colorful Yarns" by Louis Winslow.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Louis Winslow has compiled a great variety of stories in his book, A Bundle of Colorful Yarn, filled with 36 short stories which will take the reader on various travels and experiences. It’s filled with never ending entertainment, great descriptions of places and people on journeys to destinations where anything can happen.

The characters struggle through mystery, horror, suspense, and every day subject matter that will keep a reader’s attention throughout the book. There are many plot twists and surprise endings I would never have expected from even a couple of the stories, but here, many of the stories accomplished just that. This will be a great book for those readers who find little time to concentrate on the typical novel, and enjoy stories that make you think what could happen after the ending.

What I liked was each story was different and I could start a new “adventure” right away. My favorite was Cupid Crossed. I did not see that ending coming until it was happening. The stories do not hold the typical plot as you would expect, so it kept me engaged and eager to find out what would happen next.

What I did not like was that many stories ended too abruptly, leaving me hanging, as if a page was missing at the end. Quite a few, especially in the beginning, were hunting or horror stories which were quite graphic to the point I almost declined to read it, but pressed on into the next stories. Overall, the book was hard to put down, if nothing but for the curiosity of the next adventure.

The book is edited and written quite well, although, I will have to give the book three out of four stars. I debated on less stars, but it is well written and I do not want to lessen that importance. I am not able to give four stars because of the horror, gore, and the questionable language for some readers. For those readers who love vivid details and don’t mind descriptions of mild physical interactions, this will be a great read for you. Not all of the stories were this way, many were quite typical, but at the same time I will take my hat off to the fact he has written these each so differently and in great detail.

I certainly hope Mr. Winslow continues his writing his of short stories. I believe readers would enjoy having another book of this style. It is in a league of its own and great for those who love to read and may not be able to dedicate a lot of time to a full novel.

A Bundle of Colorful Yarns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nkoo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: 50 Fabulous Women by Janiece McCarthy

Post by Nkoo »

It could be hard to discover a particular story suddenly ended midway just as you were having fun reading it. From your review, the book sounds interesting but I'm never at home with horror stories/movies. I will not consider reading it. Thanks for an honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”