Review by Helene_2008 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Review by Helene_2008 -- The Expansion by Christoph Martin

Post by Helene_2008 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Expansion" by Christoph Martin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Max Burns and Godfredo Roco had been good friends during their school days. The sudden and unfortunate passing of Max's parents only helped to strengthen their bond. Like many childhood friends though, they drift apart over the years as their lives get busy and hold more responsibility. An expansion of the Panama Canal provides an opportunity to reunite them. Max, now a geomatic engineer, would be the perfect person to lead a team of people to create a design for the new expansion. Godfredo and his father, Paco Roco, who own CISCO Construction, could really use the business if they were to win the bid. They will go up against several countries, including the Americans, to win the bin for the best technical design and budget. Yet like anything that involves politics and money, nothing is clear cut. Who is an informant for who? Where will the money come from? And most important of all, who can we blame it on if it all goes wrong?

Christoph Martin creates an engaging and convoluted plot that kept me guessing from beginning to end. While the plot was intense, involving politics, fraud, and international affairs, I could follow the storyline and enjoyed guessing where things would lead next. The Expansion included many twists and surprises that allowed the book to be captivating and unpredictable throughout.

I enjoyed the characters of Max Burns and Karis Deen the most. Despite parents who have made some poor choices, Max chooses a more honest and humble future for himself. He is brilliant, kind, and easy to relate to. Karis Deen, on the other hand, is more mysterious. For half of the book, you are wondering what she is and who she works for. Karis also has a difficult childhood but is able to create a better future for herself.

While there wasn't anything that I disliked about this book, I was a little surprised about the very end. Everything seemed to be wrapping up, and then the last couple sentences caught me off guard. It was so little to go on that it felt like a poorly done cliffhanger. I wondered if my book was somehow missing a chapter.

Despite that small confusion, I wouldn't rate this book anything less than 4 out of 4. Martin's fast-paced novel does not disappoint. I found no issues with editing. There was some vulgar language and sexual content, but nothing excessive. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy fictional plots about politics, government, or international affairs. While these are not subjects that I usually seek for myself in books I read, I still really enjoyed the book. After reading this book, I understand why it received Book of the Year at Online Book Club.

The Expansion
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book certainly sounds intriguing, but your comment about the ending makes me a little leary. I don't enjoy books that end on cliffhangers. I like things wrapped up nicely by the ending of the story. Thanks for a great review!
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

The book sounds interesting, but I don't like ends like that, it can ruin the whole book for me. Anyway, thanks for your great review!
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I may not have taken it if I had seen only the genre it falls as political topics are confusing, but it is the book of the year which made me curious to read it. Thanks for letting me know.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoyed your review and reading your take on this book. I’m not a huge fan of politically driven books but the characters of Max Burns and Karis Deen sound well done. Sometimes I like a good cliffhanger but this one sounds like it may have been a little awkward. Still, thanks for the informative review!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I don't read political fiction but this book was book of the year, so may be one day i would read it out of curiosity.
Thanks for the review Helene ☺
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I'm not very interested in political settings but this must be a great book if it was book of the year here. Thanks for the great review!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like a great book that I would enjoy reading. Thanks for the great review!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a really interesting book, and I'm excited to read it! Thanks for this great review.
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like a very interesting premise. I'm sure the author had to do a lot of research to get the facts right about the canal and its history.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”