Review by AntonelaMaria -- The Poison Profession

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Review by AntonelaMaria -- The Poison Profession

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Poison Profession" by Rachel Wright.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Poison Profession is the first book in a cyber-crime series by Rachel Wright.

The story concentrates on Clayman siblings Louisa and her two brothers, Jack and Tom. The three of them own a security firm in the United Kingdom. But the family’s security business is a cover for the assassination company named Crail. Louisa a medical dropout is the assassin; Jack is the hacker; While Tom is the accountant for their company. They work from different parts of the world and infrequently meet in their head office in Tikopia. Tikopia is a small island in the Solomon Islands in Oceania. Everything changes when Louisa meets Rikard, a Swiss-based gamer. After that fatal encounter, nothing will be the same.

I didn’t like constant switching of the narrative in this book. Not only did the narrator too often change but the continent and time too. Tom is in New Zealand, Louisa in London, Rikard in Geneva, and Jack in Australia. I had to keep up with a lot of details to follow the plotline. Too many perspectives and not enough depth for either of them to get involved with the story. But not all is a disappointment. I liked the premise of the story. I think the author has the potential to grow and evolve. The story is intriguing, but the overall execution of the story was lacking.

I will rate this book with two out of four stars. I think the editing of this book is exceptional. However, I had to switch reading from my reader to my computer, because for whatever reason copy on my reader had over sixty typo mistakes. I realized that way too late and that those mistakes were only showing on my reader, but not on a laptop, even though that is the same copy. So, that was minor technical issues. What warrants this rating are other issues. I didn’t like how some important events happened, and events happened out of the blue. Twists in the narration didn’t make much sense to me. I know that twists and turns keep mystery and suspense stories going. But they have to benefit the story somehow. A lot of things at the end of the book just didn’t make much sense. Maybe the author will explain some things in the next installment because this is the first book in the series. But I don’t think I will read that. I need to point out that this book didn’t end on a cliffhanger. I would even say that you could read the next book in a series as a standalone book.

This book deals with a lot of killing and drug use. There are several erotic scenes too. So, if you think you can’t handle that, avoid this book. But, if that is not a problem for you, I would recommend this book. Also, if you are a fan of cyber-thrillers and mysteries, the premise of this book will appeal to you.

The Poison Profession
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I don’t read many cyber thrillers, but this premise sounds quite interesting - and ambitious! Thank you for your review.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Noilaus
Currently Reading: Russia Hoax
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noilaus.html
Latest Review: Marco Martinez by R M Allan

Post by Noilaus »

The assassinations plot sounds interesting. Thanks for the informative review.
WE BELIEVE IN EXCELLENCE.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Thanks for the descriptive review. Due to the confusion wrought by the multiple points of view, locations and time, plus the lack of character depth, I think I'll skip this one.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

MsH2k wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 22:40 I don’t read many cyber thrillers, but this premise sounds quite interesting - and ambitious! Thank you for your review.
Thank you for reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Noilaus wrote: 15 Oct 2019, 15:03 The assassinations plot sounds interesting. Thanks for the informative review.
Thank you for reading!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 11:20 Thanks for the descriptive review. Due to the confusion wrought by the multiple points of view, locations and time, plus the lack of character depth, I think I'll skip this one.
Yeah, I agree that it may be a good choice.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I like the premise of the book; however, it doesn't seem to be very well done at this time. Hopefully, the author will take your criticisms constructively. Thanks for a wonderful review!
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Prisallen wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 07:40 I like the premise of the book; however, it doesn't seem to be very well done at this time. Hopefully, the author will take your criticisms constructively. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Thank you for reading!! :tiphat:
Barend V
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barend-v.html
Latest Review: Jake Miller by Billy Ray Williams

Post by Barend V »

A very honest review. I also do not enjoy books that are difficult to follow. And lots of mindless violence. While a good story is important to me, in the end, it is all about the reading experience.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”