Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Queen of Xana

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Queen of Xana

Post by Dentarthurdent »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Queen of Xana" by Fred Pilcher.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The tale begins with Princess Agatha of Xana as an attractive, intelligent and compassionate young lady who disagrees with many of the policies of her land, which her mother refuses to change. From a young age, Agatha has been passionate about helping the commoners, who are consistently exploited by the wealthy aristocrats.

When a powerful villain named Magi attacks and massacres the citizens of Xana, including the queen, it falls upon Princess Agatha to save her kingdom from its vicious conqueror. She does this with the help of her Fairy Godmother, who tasks her with finding her soulmate and making love to him during their first encounter, which is apparently the only way to destroy Magi’s power. On succeeding in this unusual endeavour, Agatha takes the throne and rules Xana with the support of her soulmate, Prince-consort Olaf, in addition to a band of well selected advisers, and sets about making the changes she had always been passionate about. The Queen of Xana details her life and efforts for the good of her people, and how she utilises strategies that are applicable to our modern society as well.

While Fred Pilcher, through this book, brought forth intelligent ideas on income generation and empowerment of the poor, the execution of it was quite ham-fisted. The world-building involved was rushed and rather basic, making the work seem more like an extended improvised parable than a tale that could draw one in. Moreover, other than the ‘Magi’ situation in the opening chapters of the book, there are no other mentions of magic or fantastical elements in the rest of it. To add to this inconsistency, the explicit sex scenes in the book are a bit clumsily done and add nothing to the narrative. These elements make the reader draw the conclusion that fantasy and erotica were infused into the story simply to make it whimsical, with little success.

Additionally, Pilcher is overly simplistic in his portrayal of human character, and to make it worse, the conversations between characters fail to sound natural. For instance, after speaking with Queen Agatha, a certain six-year-old boy says to her, “Dear queen, I never had so much fun in my life as when I talked with you. Will I ever talk to you again?”

What I enjoyed least about Agatha’s chronicles is that they feature an all-perfect queen surrounded by rather weak characters, beginning with her housewifely prince-consort, whose most notable of very few duties seems to be to “delight the people with his courteous and enthusiastic greetings,” and I find it terribly sad that this is written with no trace of irony at all. On the other hand, the author makes good points about investment, hard work, self-improvement and utilizing opportunities, which in life, as in the book, benefit not only the individual, but also the community as a whole. This is what I liked best.

Unfortunately, for the reasons stated above, I find the objective rating of The Queen of Xana to be 1 out of 4 stars. While I acknowledge that the use of fiction to draw parallels and make points about the society is a remarkable idea, it is only so if well executed. This particular work is often confusing, as it contains rather mature content, yet the writing style seems aimed at a more juvenile audience, what with the author's tendency to spoon-feed the reader and leave nothing to individual interpretation. Pilcher heavily uses his characters as his mouthpieces instead of creating a narration that speaks for itself. This, I feel is the reason why it might fail in sparking the dialogue it was intended to.

I would recommend a much improved, much more researched version of this book to lovers of fantasy and political science. I hate to say this, but as it is, I would not recommend it to anyone, but much less underage readers, due to the mature content.

The Queen of Xana
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Very interesting take on this book, I must say. The aforementioned "massacre" and sexually explicit scenes are a bit of a surprise, and yes, they do seem out of place if this is targeted towards a younger audience. I loved how you pointed out the tendency to "spoon-feed" readers, as it can be really annoying -- and yet getting more common, unfortunately. Great, great review!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

I have also reviewed this book. The erotic content really threw me off, honestly. It did not match at all with the writing style of the book that seemed to be mostly catering to a very young audience. So I agree with you 100% on this. Great thorough review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

What an odd combination, explicit sex scenes and juvenile writing. I've come across similar books with "identity crises" like this in the past, and it's always tough to figure out where to even start with them. Anyway, I'll probably be skipping this one. Thanks for the review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

Although the intention of writing a book about inequality between the rich and the poor was good, the execution of the writing left a lot to be desired. I think I will be skipping this book until there is a better version. Thanks for a great review, as always!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

inaramid wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 07:40 Very interesting take on this book, I must say. The aforementioned "massacre" and sexually explicit scenes are a bit of a surprise, and yes, they do seem out of place if this is targeted towards a younger audience. I loved how you pointed out the tendency to "spoon-feed" readers, as it can be really annoying -- and yet getting more common, unfortunately. Great, great review!
Wow. Thanks so much for stopping by, for the kind words and for your thoughts. Have a great day!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

corinaelena wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 11:06 I have also reviewed this book. The erotic content really threw me off, honestly. It did not match at all with the writing style of the book that seemed to be mostly catering to a very young audience. So I agree with you 100% on this. Great thorough review!
Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Tomah wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 11:58 What an odd combination, explicit sex scenes and juvenile writing. I've come across similar books with "identity crises" like this in the past, and it's always tough to figure out where to even start with them. Anyway, I'll probably be skipping this one. Thanks for the review!
"Identity crises" is an amusing, yet accurate way of describing what this book suffers from. Thanks a lot for stopping by!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Prisallen wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 12:27 Although the intention of writing a book about inequality between the rich and the poor was good, the execution of the writing left a lot to be desired. I think I will be skipping this book until there is a better version. Thanks for a great review, as always!
Thank you very much for reading my review, and for the kind words!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your insightful comments about this book. The author's desire to draw parallels with society doesn't seem to hit the mark. Great review!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I enjoy fantasy books with magic but it is pretty disappointing when the fantasy elements aren’t used effectively. You bring up many great points in your review. There’s quite a few reasons to pass on this book. Hopefully your next book will be more satisfying!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The author experimented by blending a fairy tale with erotica, and he tried to empower the female by emasculating the male. Both failed, it seems.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

It sounds like the plot had potential, but the author got way off track, turning it away from juvenile literature into something of an economics "how-to" book. That and the unexpected erotic scenes would not make this something I would recommend to the tweens and teens in my life. He definitely missed the mark on this one. Thanks for the honest review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

It sounds like the author was trying to send a really great message here, but the writing wasn't quite up to the task. I also think the erotic content is weird in a story like this. Thanks for an insightful review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

kdstrack wrote: 10 Oct 2019, 14:42 I enjoyed your insightful comments about this book. The author's desire to draw parallels with society doesn't seem to hit the mark. Great review!
I agree. Thanks for your thoughts and kind words!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”