Review by Nisha Ward -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Review by Nisha Ward -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am intrigued with Tysz. He is only in his twenties, yet he writes about the endtimes as if he's so familiar with humanity's flaws. I really hope to read him soon. At least before the world ends. LOL!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 03:37 I am intrigued with Tysz. He is only in his twenties, yet he writes about the endtimes as if he's so familiar with humanity's flaws. I really hope to read him soon. At least before the world ends. LOL!
Wait. He's that young?! Whoa. I'm sort of amazed.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I have read this one and honestly, I didn't like it very much but the characters were really varied and are powerful for strong plots like this. I enjoyed reading the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It sounds like a bleak but fascinating post-apocalyptic story. I'm interested in gloomy depictions of the future, so I might check this one out. Thanks for the review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Ekta Swarnkar wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 11:31 I have read this one and honestly, I didn't like it very much but the characters were really varied and are powerful for strong plots like this. I enjoyed reading the review!
It's not a book for everyone, so I can't really fault you for that. However, I do agree about the variation of characters. It works.
Tomah wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 15:24 It sounds like a bleak but fascinating post-apocalyptic story. I'm interested in gloomy depictions of the future, so I might check this one out. Thanks for the review!
It is, kind of, both literally and figuratively.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 10:32
Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 03:37 I am intrigued with Tysz. He is only in his twenties, yet he writes about the endtimes as if he's so familiar with humanity's flaws. I really hope to read him soon. At least before the world ends. LOL!
I have to correct myself. He was born in 1989, so he's barely 30. I just checked his bio. Talented, huh! (Stephen King and Michael Crichton started writing novels in their twenties, too.)
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Sounds a bit dark for me but i do like well-developed characters. I might be reading it at some point but not now.
Thanks a lot for the review Nisha :tiphat:
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
InStoree
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I read one of Tysz's books, and I liked his vision and creative style. I'm sure this novel won't disappoint me. Thank you for the recommendation, Nisha! I enjoyed reading your review.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 18:48
Nisha Ward wrote: 12 Oct 2019, 10:32
I have to correct myself. He was born in 1989, so he's barely 30. I just checked his bio. Talented, huh! (Stephen King and Michael Crichton started writing novels in their twenties, too.)
Very talented. I've read the bio but I don't think it really hit me until you pointed it out.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Aniza Butt wrote: 13 Oct 2019, 07:31 Sounds a bit dark for me but i do like well-developed characters. I might be reading it at some point but not now.
Thanks a lot for the review Nisha :tiphat:
Yeah. It's dark and a bit much so if you're not prepared to read it now, it's better to wait.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

InStoree wrote: 14 Oct 2019, 04:54 I read one of Tysz's books, and I liked his vision and creative style. I'm sure this novel won't disappoint me. Thank you for the recommendation, Nisha! I enjoyed reading your review.
That's actually how I came to this one too. Thanks for reading!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm a huge fan of dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction and am fast becoming a fan of Tysz as well. I don't mind darkness in this type of book, and the more "twisted," the better. Tysz has that talent in spades. I think I just might push this one to the top of my reading list! Thanks for the fascinating review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Kelyn wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 12:08 I'm a huge fan of dystopian/post-apocalyptic fiction and am fast becoming a fan of Tysz as well. I don't mind darkness in this type of book, and the more "twisted," the better. Tysz has that talent in spades. I think I just might push this one to the top of my reading list! Thanks for the fascinating review!
Yes! I quite agree that he has that talent. I thought The Last City of America was great and then I read the series this is a part of and it eclipses that on sheer scale, I think.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

This author certainly has a remarkable writing speed, I've seen multiple published books by him recently. Thanks for the review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

rumik wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 19:24 This author certainly has a remarkable writing speed, I've seen multiple published books by him recently. Thanks for the review!
They're all very large too! Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”