Review by AKShanmar12 -- Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AKShanmar12
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Review by AKShanmar12 -- Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by AKShanmar12 » 16 Sep 2019, 18:17

[Following is a volunteer review of "Looking Glass Friends" by E L Neve.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Does your soul mate exist somewhere out in the universe? When the day-to-day doldrums of a long-term relationship kicks in, it is easy to imagine that somehow you missed out on the person you were really supposed to find. E. L. Neve explores this concept in the novel Looking Glass Friends.

The story begins with one of the four main characters, Neil, contemplating suicide. As he holds the gun to his mouth, he remembers the woman he connected with earlier and he puts the weapon away. Meanwhile, the focus of his affection, Ellie lives a beautiful life with her darling five-year-old son and a wealthy husband who worships her beauty.

As the perspectives of the additional characters are introduced: Fay, Neil’s wife, and Jake, Ellie’s husband, the cracks in the foundations of their relationships become very obvious. Ellie and Neil come together through emails and phone calls as virtuous friends, but soon their friendship leads to more, and soon everyone is affected.

E. L. Neve explores her topic in a deep, intense manner. There are many literary references and quotes, as that is the basis of Ellie and Neil’s relationship. I appreciated how she included first-person glimpses into the lives of the rejected spouses. It completes the picture to have their view. Fay is hurt and in despair, while Jake is prideful and conniving.

Personally, I didn’t really like either of the male characters. In the beginning, Neil was elitist with the attitude that he was smarter than everyone else. I was never convinced that his perspective changed. It seemed like he was just excited to meet Ellie on a higher mental level than his wife. Jake was the perfect package on the outside, but devious and unfaithful under his wealthy veneer. On the other hand, Ellie and Fay seemed very similar to me, although apparently, Ellie was much smarter. Ellie was a bit of a clueless character as she was unaware that her husband had a complete alternate life to the one he lived with her and their son.

The book had some typos, but none that were really distracting from the story. The style of writing was a little aloof and elitist. I felt like that reflected the views towards emotional attributes that weren’t appreciated by Neil, like loyalty and faithfulness. I am giving Looking Glass Friends a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because the topic was well explored but not altogether convincing that they had found their soul mate.

This book would be enjoyed by readers who like to take a deep dive into the ins and outs of relationships. There is some intimacy but it is not described in great detail. This and the level of content would make this book a poor choice for a younger reader.

Looking Glass Friends
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

I_Am_Israt
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Ten Dolls
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by I_Am_Israt » 16 Oct 2019, 05:43

Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve is a fresh take on the romance novel. This novel is a wonderful exploration of budding romance in a world dictated by social media and long distance relationships.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”