Review by Benthic -- Demon Heart by David Crane

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Benthic
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benthic.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Review by Benthic -- Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Benthic »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Heart" by David Crane.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Heart by David Crane is a fantasy-thriller set up in contemporary Japan. The story follows Naoko Kitamura, a half-demon. We see the circumstances of her birth and her growth into an adult. The story develops as Naoko follows with her dream of joining the Osaka Police. Being different from other police officers, she investigates weird cases involving the supernatural. However, Naoko has her fair share of troubles as she soars through the ranks in the police. In the story, the readers follow Naoko, as she deals with the dangers involving the fate of her country, Japan.

The story is, no doubt, excellent. The plot moves fast and is rich in action. The author doesn’t shy from showing us some gore scenes here and there. Again, the detailing was superb. The plot contains high-intensity fight scenes and surprising plot twists. The entire plot was so compelling, that, the book was difficult to put down. The author put several symbols of Japanese culture here and there, which made the plot, seem much more real and characters relatable. The use of Japanese words in between lines lit up the plot. The use of Japanese proverbs at the beginning of each chapter added a bonus to the narration.

With a very engaging plot and brilliant narration, we also have some strong themes in the story. The bonds between family are visited time and again in the story. So is the idea of loyalty and friendship. Though the character of Naoko is pretty well developed, other side characters are found to be lacking. Apart from Naoko, the author hardly bothers giving depth to any of his side characters. Another thing I disliked about the book was that it barely had any essential subplots. The entire story was too focused on the main character, and I would have liked some occasional detours.

Overall, the book is exceptionally well written. If you are a fan of Japanese anime or Japanese culture, you will find this book delightful. There are no actual sex scenes, but there are several erotic and gore contents, not to mention violence, which is inappropriate for young readers.

The author edited the book well. Apart from a few missing commas, the book contained no other problems. The few errors, however, did not distract from the wonderful reading experience. Due to the above reasons, I cannot give it four stars. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have given it a partial star if it was possible. It was a great reading experience, and I recommend all adults to give it a try.

Demon Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
I_Am_Israt
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Ten Dolls
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-am-israt.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by I_Am_Israt »

Demon Heart by David Crane is an exciting action packed story. It's a brilliant paranormal story set in Japan. I also liked the main character Naoko Kitamutra, one of the best cops of the city's police force in Osaka, Japan.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”