Review by Wyland -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Review by Wyland -- Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Wyland » 14 Sep 2019, 16:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

With pride, Lauren Powers in her memoir Beneath the Muscle: Unleash Your Inner Champion credits her father, David MacDonald, for her Type A personality that has made her naturally prone to positivity. Just the same, isn’t it incredible that as a child she was focused, stayed confident, and therefore, never allowed bullies to bring her down? Yet, after everything, it’s this learned behavior that has allowed her to pursue careers in male-dominated fields later in her life.

Any or all of several women close to Powers could have been responsible for her inspired attitude, namely, her mother, Mary Curtis; her grandma, Leone; and her aunt, Colette. Ever the Pollyanna, she scored a solid 4.0 grade-point average at the University of Hawaii on Maui, even as she excelled in some high-octane adventures both in and out of school: as an example, she was the number-one-woman paddler out of fifty-two women who were selected to paddle on the Molokai Channel, the roughest channel of the Hawaiian Islands.

With an effusive attitude of paying no attention to negative thoughts, Powers’ book certainly provides some food for thought. Through what she calls being “Behind the Mask,” she identifies an aspect of hiding dark thoughts that disguises our true selves so that we can fit into society. While describing this debilitating trait in more detail, she gave the example of a certain celebrity who appeared happy and comical when in public; however, behind this persona, there was a fatally disconsolate individual. Moreover, any of the chapter titles in Part 3 (Keys to Success) of her book read like personal mantras one can adopt to promote positivity in life.

As a former drug addict who found fame in bodybuilding, Powers reminds her readers to never be afraid of making mistakes. Indeed, this is the frame of mind that has contributed to the appreciative tone that characterizes her writing. Accordingly, and in no uncertain terms, she cherishes her mom’s friend and drug rehabilitation staff who came to her aid when she hit rock-bottom because of drug and alcohol-related abuse. After this most trying episode in her life, she developed her “why” in life, which is to use her success as a platform to reach a wider audience, and in the process, help others.

That being so, to help me personalize the advice and experiences in her book in the hope it can help reveal my inner champion, Powers has included a free accompanying workbook. Success is about making the necessary changes in one’s life, and I thought this step was another key selling point of her book. Meanwhile, I got to admire all the numerous cool pictures Powers has taken posing with other equally successful celebrities, like Arnold Schwarzenegger and singer Katy Perry.

After all was said and done, I felt Powers achieved effectively her sole objective of penning this book. Additionally, I was only able to identify minimal editing errors, that is, a few missing commas in two phrases. As I conclude, what I liked most about the book was the fact that the author made the story more about her prospective reader than about herself. For the above compelling reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

I recommend the book to anyone who feels unfulfilled in life and needs an inspiration to try something new. As Powers will tell you, she ventured into bodybuilding at the mature age of 40, so it’s never too late to start something new.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 76
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 575
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: The Magician Cat by Hawk Selah
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 16 Sep 2019, 15:41

She was born Laurie McDonald, but Lauren Powers suits her more. She's dubbed as the American Wonder Woman, and that's no wonder. I hope to find what's beneath soon.

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: My Inner Thoughts in Ink
Bookshelf Size: 811
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Russian Lieutenant by Peter Marshall

Post by Kibetious » 17 Sep 2019, 14:00

Thanks for the amazing review. I like the fact that author still echoes what I read in a certain book some months ago about the possibility of beginning anything at any time.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Shifted
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 17 Sep 2019, 20:19

This sounds like such an inspiring life. Her positive attitude, in spite of her struggles, and her willingness to make changes are motivating for readers. I am looking forward to reading her story. Thanks for the amazing review!

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by corinaelena » 18 Sep 2019, 03:26

Great review! I have also reviewed this book (I belive it is currently pending in my history), and i was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. She really comes across a very interesting and empathic woman. I am glad to see you enjoyed it as well.

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Coopers Law by Wendy Blundell

Post by Aniza Butt » 18 Sep 2019, 05:19

We surely learn with our mistakes and am glad that the author tried to convey this message with her book.
Thanks for the review wyland☺
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Gratitude Shmatitude: Don't just think it, do it! by Amy Adams

Post by Tomah » 18 Sep 2019, 12:15

It sounds like an inspiring read that should have something for everybody, even if you're not interested in bodybuilding. Thanks for the review!

Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Mama's Daycare by Ngozi Edema
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 18 Sep 2019, 12:55

It's indeed never too late to try something new or go after your dreams! It's always amazing when addicts turn their lives around, and I'm glad Powers managed to do so through bodybuilding. Not my type of book, so I'll have to pass. Nonetheless, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
— Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The Diary of A Divorce by Isolde

Post by rumik » 18 Sep 2019, 15:42

I love inspirational tales from strong women like Lauren Powers. The name really does suit her. Thanks for the lovely review!

Lindsey Klaus
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus » 23 Sep 2019, 15:07

I love that she used personal experience in order to empower her readers. There's something very powerful about watching someone rise from the ashes. Addiction is a hole not many people are able to climb out of, no matter how hard they try. It's really hard, so seeing such a successful story is inspiring. This was a fantastic review. Thanks!

Mallory Whitaker
2017 Reading Goal: 35
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 74
Currently Reading: Babies at Coconuts
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: What It Means To Be Me by Dee Boykin

Post by Mallory Whitaker » 23 Sep 2019, 16:28

I've read a few reviews on this book, and all of them have been pretty positive. Your review makes me think that this book might be a good fit for me. I'll have to add it to my super long list of books I need to read. Thanks for the review!

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Hardened Hearts by William Joiner

Post by Prisallen » 25 Sep 2019, 11:55

This sounds like a very inspirational book for people who are struggling. I'm glad that she was able to overcome her addictions and become successful. Thanks for a wonderful review!

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Michelle Fred » 26 Sep 2019, 05:14

I like that the book is reader-centred; that tells me she put a lot of thought into the writing and the message she hoped to pass. It is certainly a book I want to read. Thanks for the recommendation.

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by Meg98 » 29 Sep 2019, 16:47

This type of book isn't generally my thing so I think I will pass for now, but it does sound unique and I'm not sure I've ever seen a premise quite like this one. Excellent review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”