Review by Agnes098 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review by Agnes098 -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Reel Sisters is a story about fly fishing. The novel is centered around Amanda, Veronica, Sophie and Rose. The story begins where the four friends are preparing themselves to go on a trip to Rose's cabin. Rose's cabin is in a remote area near a calm river. They usually visit this place to fly fish. When they want to be away from the busy world in the city, to have fun and to relax, Rose's cabin is the place to be. On one of the weekends, while they were fly fishing in a nearby river, they met a naked woman whose name is Melody. Melody is a young photographer who is privileged financially. The reason why she is found alone in the river and naked, is a mystery to be discovered in the contents of the book. Surprisingly, Melody ended up being good friends with Amanda, Veronica, Sophie and Rose.

This adventure novel is divided into sections which are headed by quotations of famous authors whose novels are about fly fishing. It is through every character's voice that the story is narrated. When I started reading the book, I didn’t understand why the author indicated that a person must pee before fishing but while I continued reading, comprehension dawned on me. In the weekend trips that the characters engaged themselves in, the idea is not only about catching fishes, it is also about having fun. A fly-fisher is highly encouraged to pee before fishing because it is pretty annoying to have a full sac while you're having fun.

Without a doubt I truly enjoyed reading this book. At some point I found myself overwhelmed by a lot of emotions as I wiped my tears while reading about the tragedy that occurred in Mike's family. And Amanda's death was just the turning point, I was numbly in pain. In as much as I found myself crying, I laughed a lot too. Michelle Cummings sprinkled humour around the entire book. There was a moment where Veronica; the city girl, found herself between digging a hole in the ground to pee inside it or to pee her pants. What would you choose ?

The characters were fully developed. I related to most if not all of them. The age group of the characters varied widely; from young to old though they were best friends who understood each other. Their age and maturity was as parallel as their career and occupation. I fell deeply in love with Sophie. She's a selfless character who normally put other people's needs in front of her own. I really liked the themes involved here which include self-discovery, women empowerment and women friendship.

I especially liked the idea of sisterhood and women friendship.There is nothing I can boldly say I did not like about reading this book. And of course, it seemed to have been professionally edited as I did not come across any errors. As a result, it is my pleasure to rate it a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. Both men and women who are fascinated by fly fishing can enjoy reading The Reel Sisters. And do not be surprised when at the end of the book you feel like you want to try fly fishing, it made me feel the same. Lastly, to enjoy this book, make sure that you are not easily offended by profane words such as bitch, f*ck and sh*t.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Renetio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renetio.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Renetio »

It sounds like a really interesting book. I especially like the themes of women empowerment, women friendship and sisterhood. Thanks for a great review.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Renetio wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 09:24 It sounds like a really interesting book. I especially like the themes of women empowerment, women friendship and sisterhood. Thanks for a great review.
Thanks for stopping by. Sisters make nations as long as they support each other unconditionally.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

I really liked "Reel Sisters" too. It's not so often you find books about women bonding over a sport.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Juliet+1 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 13:25 I really liked "Reel Sisters" too. It's not so often you find books about women bonding over a sport.
And bonding over a sport "fly-fishing" of all the sports in the world. I liked it too. Thanks for stopping by.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”