Review by reneelu1998 -- Beneath the Muscle

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by reneelu1998 -- Beneath the Muscle

Post by ReneeBrown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Beneath the Muscle" by Lauren Powers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers is a powerful and motivational autobiography covering topics such as being positive, ignoring haters, never quitting, avoiding judging others, and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle. If you don’t know who Lauren Powers is, she is a heavyweight bodybuilder who has won numerous championships. She has appeared in many films, documentaries, talk shows, and even a Lady Gaga music video. Lauren does an excellent job taking the reader with her as she recounts significant events and circumstances in her life which have shaped her to be the person she is today.

To be honest, I did not think I would enjoy this book as much as I did. I thought I wouldn’t be able to relate to a bodybuilder since I am not interested in the sport and I’m not crazy about fitness. But Lauren doesn’t just talk about her career as a professional bodybuilder. She accomplishes so much more than that in this truly inspiring description of her life. She breaks down for the reader how to stay motivated even when the odds are against you. She addresses self-doubt, stress, and pride. She gives advice on how to achieve your goals, chase your dreams, and develop a personal mantra. I really enjoyed all the topics discussed in this book. This book has something for everyone, even for those who don’t know what bodybuilding is.

The thing I liked the most in this book were the quotes at the beginning of each chapter and the pictures. I thought these things added an extra flair to the book. There is also a free companion workbook that has reflective questions and activities. I also loved the details and stories from her life. I won’t give too much away, but Lauren Powers has tried many different jobs, pursuits, and careers. Reading about all the ups and downs she’s experienced was fascinating. One small thing that I thought could be improved, and therefore disliked most, was the organization. The themes and topics are very well organized at the beginning, starting the narrative off in her early childhood and into young adulthood, but towards the end the chapters seemed kind of random (although good).

Because of all these things and despite that small flaw, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book pleasantly surprised me and I’m glad I had the chance to read it. I will be taking some of her advice and trying to apply it to my life. This book was clearly professionally edited as I didn’t notice any grammatical errors.

As briefly mentioned earlier, this book has a little something for everyone. So, I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys motivational and inspiring books, memoirs, or autobiographies. There are no vulgar or inappropriate topics.

Beneath the Muscle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

This book seems to be really promising. I would love to know more about the many pursuits and careers that Lauren Powers engaged in throughout life. I hope I get a chance to read this one soon. Thank you for a wonderful review and recommendation.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”