Review by e-reeder -- Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
e-reeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-reeder.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Review by e-reeder -- Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta...

Post by e-reeder »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)" by Heidi M. Simone.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Music to My Ears by Heidi M. Simone, is a work of fantasy. It is the first book in The Sirens Series. A piece of excellent writing that keeps you captivated from start to finish. This book follows the story of Sophia, who is an excellent singer and flutist. She is in love with music; she finds peace and comfort in it. When Sophia was 12, an incident occurred at the beach during her time out with family. The event traumatizes her and leaves her with so many questions; questions that nobody in her family has been able to answer. She lives most of her teenage years in guilt and self-torture. Then she turns 21 and moves to New York for an audition, which finds her working with the handsome Dante Brown. Dante and Sophia soon fall in love, and he shows her that her musical abilities are not so ordinary after all, and together, they unlock her full potential.

There are a few things one must appreciate about the book. One of them is the fact that the storytelling is top-notch, and it is written in simple language. The book is a page-turner, and the author is able to captivate your interest from the first page. The story is in the first-person perspective, and the author shows in clear terms how Sophia is feeling and her reaction to the other characters. There is also a bit of suspense at the beginning. I was dying to know the cause of the accident. I enjoyed the book, and I look forward to reading the next book in the series.

Another thing I like about the book is the use of Greek mythology. There were references to Greek gods, their characters, and their existence in modern times. The plot is set in modern-day Rhode Island, but the writer still manages to intertwine mythological characters and their powers. I was particularly excited because I believe the existence of supernatural beings and their ability to do the extraordinary. The writer was able to keep my interest because it was written to fit our present-day activities.

The book contains themes like hope, determination, love, self-sacrifice, and leadership. It was able to show that leadership sometimes require selflessness, and that love demands commitment and hope to weather the storm. The themes in the book are relevant to date.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because there was nothing I didn't like about it, and it didn't have any errors. I recommend the book for readers 13 and above, and lovers of fantasy, romance, and Greek mythology.

Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Really nice review. I am now completely interested in this book, which I was not based on the title and the cover. I also love Greek mythology, so am always happy when authors find a really good way to weave it into their modern day fantasy novels.
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

Sounds like a great love story. This is a book I would love to read. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”