Review by B Creech -- I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by B Creech -- I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood is a compilation of Old Testament stories from the Bible. Although written more simplistically, the stories still have a flair of the biblical text. The language is easy to understand, enabling the reader to enjoy every page. There are 219 stories placed in chronological order for a better understanding of the Old Testament, and history of the Jewish people. The book takes the reader through the ancient history of biblical times, beginning with the story of creation. The stories of Abraham and Isaac; David and Goliath; Cain and Abel; Job, and many more are in this remarkable book. Old Testament stories familiar to most people suddenly come to life as never before for the reader.

I enjoyed reading this book and was excited to discover many passages from the Old Testament I had never fully comprehended were now clear to me. For instance, I was never able to understand the full extent of the conversation between Job and his three friends. I knew the three men weren't being a comfort to Job but trying to understand the original dialog in the Bible was difficult for me. Greenwood did an exceptional job of simplifying each story without taking away the intended message. He painstakingly provided footnotes for reference to each story as well as random pictures. There are also maps, a name index, a pronunciation guide, and a subject index at the back of the book the reader can reference. This book could be a useful study guide for the Old Testament as well as a book of Biblical stories to read just for the pleasure of reading.

What I liked most was the stories are short and easy to understand, yet one still has the feeling they are reading directly from the Bible. What I disliked most about this book was a statement the author made when telling the story of creation. He stated, (verbatim): "It is certainly more correct to say the earth was organized than to say that it was created, for it was not created out of nothing." The Bible plainly says in Genesis that God "created" the heaven and the earth. I almost stopped reading the book when I read that statement, but I am glad I didn't because this book has so much to offer. It is apparent Greenwood dedicated a lot of time, effort, and research to this work.

The book appears professionally edited, and I found only a few errors, mainly missing and misspelled words. There is an issue with the formatting, on the Kindle version at least. Some paragraphs have double spacing between them, and some do not. There are also pages where a new chapter heading is at the bottom with the rest of the page blank. The inconsistent formatting was distracting; however, other versions may be correctly formatted, so I did not count it as an error.

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood is well-written. Putting the stories in chronological order makes the book flow as one continuous story instead of a collection of individual ones. Also, the footnotes and referencing tools included are thorough and easy to follow. For these reasons and more I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book to everyone interested in the Old Testament. I also would recommend it for anyone to use as a study guide to enhance their understanding of the Old Testament Scriptures.

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I enjoyed reading your review. I agree that Greenwood does a great job clarifying some of the stories. I think it would be a great book to use as a companion to The Bible. With the formatting issue, I am finding the same problem with the Kindle copy. When it comes to technology, it is always frustrating to get it to come out right. :doh: :techie-studyinggray:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Great review. I never read anything about the Bible so this book seems like a good start. I'll try to read it when possible. :)
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 19 Aug 2019, 23:44 I enjoyed reading your review. I agree that Greenwood does a great job clarifying some of the stories. I think it would be a great book to use as a companion to The Bible. With the formatting issue, I am finding the same problem with the Kindle copy. When it comes to technology, it is always frustrating to get it to come out right. :doh: :techie-studyinggray:
I agree that it would be a great book to use when studying the Old Testament. Hopefully, the formatting is ok in the paperback! I find it often in the Kindle versions from other books as well! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

shravsi wrote: 20 Aug 2019, 01:15 Great review. I never read anything about the Bible so this book seems like a good start. I'll try to read it when possible. :)
The Bible can be difficult to understand - especially the Old Testament so I found this book to be an awesome way to better understand what I was reading in the actual scriptures! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

I have loved your comprehensive review about this book. This is a book I'll definitely love to read and understand the author's version of old testament stories.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Wanjugush wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 12:55 I have loved your comprehensive review about this book. This is a book I'll definitely love to read and understand the author's version of old testament stories.
Thank you, and thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
alexfetuu89
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alexfetuu89 »

It good start for new people to unstand the bible. And it help people to love reading the bible. And people will enjoy the old Testament
LeDiplomatique
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lediplomatique.html
Latest Review: Basket of Brazilian Tales by Manfred u. Osterroht

Post by LeDiplomatique »

Great review! Makes me more eager to read the book!
Francispres02
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Francispres02 »

I enjoy reading this book the old testament its really informative to me.
Francispres02
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Francispres02 »

This story is for abraham and lsaac and many more nice and wonderful to read..
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Great review! Thanks. You make me count this book to my book shelves, and hope have an opportunity to read this too. Well, I'm doing my best to at least read a page of the Bible everyday. So I can be enlightened and be guided.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

alexfetuu89 wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 22:22 It good start for new people to unstand the bible. And it help people to love reading the bible. And people will enjoy the old Testament
Thank you and thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

LeDiplomatique wrote: 12 Sep 2019, 07:58 Great review! Makes me more eager to read the book!
Thanks! And thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Francispres02 wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 04:00 This story is for abraham and lsaac and many more nice and wonderful to read..
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
B. Creech

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”