Featured Review by Janalyn101 -- The Adults in the Room

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Featured Review by Janalyn101 -- The Adults in the Room

Post by Janalyn101 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Adults in the Room" by Jeffrey D. Mechling.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Adults In The Room

Timothy Hall is a man trying to reorganize his life, but first he wants to get his memory back.

Two years previous he was working for the CIA in China and he and his wife, Pam (who also worked for the CIA,) were in a car accident. It caused Tim to have retrograde amnesia and killed Pam.

Six months later he got transferred to Social Security. The place he recently retired from.

He is slowly getting his life together. He starts dating Maryann, the bartender at his favorite hole “The Perfect Pig Bar And Grill.” He is going to the Dominican Republic to join a study with stem cells. Research. The Shady Doctor Justice assures him it will help. In Sante Domingo things get strange, but when he goes back to Baltimore things get down right confusing. Not only does his old coleeg Sebastian show up with Maryann’s ex boyfriend, he also takes him to visit Pam.

Tim has lots of questions. Such as how is Pam alive? How does Sebastian know Maryann’s ex Toby? What does Maryann have to do with all this and the biggest question of all why does the CIA need him to help kill the president?

The Adults In The Room is a Thriller in the best sense of the word. Jeffrey D Mechling pushes the boundary of suspended belief and makes it all believable. This is one of my favorite reads of all time. I do have a couple of warnings (1) I only recommend this to mature adults. Due to language, violence and sex scenes and vulgarity.

I do want to mention I didn’t like the character Maryann and finding out she abandoned her daughters made me like her even less. She is the main reason I have to give a language warning. She had a very foul mouth and a ready to fight attitude that I thought wasn’t always necessary, but knowing women just like her, I didn’t take anything away from my final score. After all that is the sign of a good writer to make it then his unlikable character is realistic and that is what Mr.Mechling has done. My favorite thing about this book is definitely Tim’s sense of humor, intelligent witt, and sarcasm made for a few lol moments.

This was a fun action filled error free reading. I enjoyed very much and I am very happy to give it 4 out of 4. This is an author I will definitely read again.

The Adults in the Room
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This book definitely sounds like it is full of twists and turns that keep the reader guessing. Memory loss and brain research are great ways to create a narrator who the readers want to trust, but isn't truly reliable.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. Your enthusiasm for the book is palpable. I would not have considered this intriguing story from the novels cover. The Adults in the Room seems very interesting and I think I would enjoy reading it. :D
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
Wallaceo
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wallaceo.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wallaceo »

This sounds like it will be an exciting read. I will definitely be looking out for this book.
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

It seems like a interesting book. I like the plot of the story. I look forward to reading it .
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

This is strange. Tim got amnesia, and Pam was killed??? Well, maybe I got to read this book to understand why? It looks very interesting. Great reviews! Thanks.
Petra1791
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petra1791.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by Petra1791 »

This book seems to have an interesting plot. I love reading thrillers, so I will consider it. Thanks for your review!
"I am enough."
- The Uncompromised Life
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

This book should be full of drama. The Man has actually being through a lot. I just read few pages but I can imagine the kind of drama ahead. Good review!
J3nni315
Currently Reading: Music to My Ears (Pre-Release Beta Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j3nni315.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by J3nni315 »

I am a sucker for sassy characters. This book sounds complex with issues of memory loss and character relations. Great review!
mrnobody3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrnobody3.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by mrnobody3 »

Reading the review makes the book sounds promising. It's more intriguing when Tim found out that Pam is alive. Thank you for the honest review.
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

Most probably I would not consider reading the book but after reading the review, I think I should find time and grab it and enjoy the thrilling story. Thank you for the review; well done!
Zola P
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Zola P »

I am so sorry for TIM
Aisha_123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-123.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Aisha_123 »

Wow. This is a nice review. I love how you expressed you feelings towards Maryann and how that did not stop your liking for the book in total. From your review, I can say that it's a must read.
MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by MatereF »

I love books that have twists and turns like the ones mentioned in the book. This is a book i would enjoy reading. Thanks for the review.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

The book seems like a spy thriller twisty movie. I will pick it up when I need little drama in my life :mrgreen: Thank you for reviewing this book. Good choice :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”