Review by Paul747 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul747
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul747.html
Latest Review: A World Diverse by David Edmond

Review by Paul747 -- The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Paul747 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Fox" by M. N. J. Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fox is a historically astute and inventive novel penned by M.N.J. Butler. It is set in the ancient Greek times during the fifth century in the nineteenth year of the war between Athens and Sparta.
The tale revolves around the life of a devastatingly handsome Spartan prince Leotychides. Agis the controversial father to Leotychides, recognizes him as the heir to the throne in his deathbed. But the claim rather gets controversial. His uncle Agisilaos, also eyes the throne basing on his niece’s legitimacy as his brother’s son.

Leotychides is born during the long-lasting Spartan war with Thebes and Athens. The war has brought so much division, disunity, and disharmony. At the end of the war, Leotychides eyes the top seat to restore and fulfill his father’s wishes of peace and unity in Sparta. He is equally keen to avenge his biological father’s public humiliation while at Alkibiades hands. Leotychides is a man who passionately believes in the Lycurgus’ moral values. Will Leotychides and the Flock all brave, loyal and with the same instincts conquer his infamous and corrupt uncle; King Agisilaos II now reigning over Sparta?

I like so many aspects of this compelling drama. First and foremost, M.N.J. Butler caters for the many characters to the tune of two hundred. This is through the provision of a twenty-six-page glossary of the names and challenging terms. Secondarily, the command and specificity to details of the ancient times and lifestyle showcased by M.N.J. Butler are thrilling. This is in addition to his emphasis on moral values like obedience, discipline and long-lasting family ties. Moreover, the disregard for vices like corruption portrayed by Alkibiades and Agisilaos is very educative.

I disliked a few aspects of this novel. With about two hundred characters present in this tale, it is confusing and proves quite a challenge to comprehend the characters and their roles. The Fox is expertly edited however there are a few errors that I came across that cannot hinder your enjoyment of this excellent read.

I rate The Fox 3 out of 4 stars. Although the novel is relatively lengthy you unexpectedly draw to the end due to the fast pace the tale acquires from the first chapter to the end. It is because of this reason I cannot rate it any lower than 3 stars. The few typing and grammatical errors are the reason for the missing fourth star. I enthusiastically recommend this dramatically intriguing novel to all avid readers of ancient Greek times stories. The Fox is a masterpiece.

The Fox
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”