Review by AngelaC -- Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
AngelaC
Favorite Book: Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
Currently Reading: Rabbit-Proof Fence
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelac.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Review by AngelaC -- Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by AngelaC »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Why can't Johnny Just Quit?" by Kyle Oh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I think that it is safe to assume that many of us have asked variations of the question, "Why can’t Johnny just quit?" The cause of addiction is often blamed on either the environment, result of the poverty cycle, past trauma, or weak character. I found myself having many aha moments while reading Why Can’t Johnny Just Quit? A Common Sense Guide to Understanding Addiction (And how to finally win the war on drugs!)

Kyle Oh MD sets out to educate and clarify addictions and current approaches to treatment in his book Why Can’t Johnny Just Quit? With over 25 years of experience in specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, he challenges people to ask, “How does it make you feel?” That powerful question shifts the focus away from the behaviours of the individual and towards investigating what is actually going on in the brain. He explains that it is a genetic marker that makes a person more susceptible to an addiction and thus there is a difference between a physical dependence on a substance versus being addicted. Dr. Oh challenges current definitions around addictions, which he states will result in more humane and compassionate conversations, policies, and therapies. The hope of Dr. Oh is to have a higher success rate on prevention and recovery in contrast to scare tactic campaigns like Just Say No. Furthermore, Dr. Oh’s case studies portray the complexity of addiction and the role that shame and guilt plays in relapses.

I admit that I fall under the group of people that have the knowledge that addiction is a disease, yet I still place blame on the individual for becoming an addict or relapsing. Dr. Oh warns the reader that the double entendre adds to the addict’s guilt and shame because they see themselves in the same light which impedes their ability to seek help. For me, the most valuable section of this book is chapter 13. Dr. Oh lists the points that need to be addressed when having a conversation with youth about substances. The recent trend towards the legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational use makes these conversations around addictions more prevalent than ever. Dr. Oh reiterates throughout his book that education is key in prevention and recovery.

Early in the book, Dr. Oh admits that he is repetitive and I think it is justified. Yes, the book would have been more tightly written, but he is trying to chip away at many widely agreed upon social beliefs. He is realistic in knowing that a shift in mindset is not easy.
This book is exceptionally edited and I rate it 4 out of 4. The overall organization of the chapters makes it a good reference book. It also includes a valuable handout, definitions list, talking points, and case studies that I would like to look further into out of my own curiosity.

I would recommend this book to those struggling with addictions because education will help with the journey towards recovery. Physicians will appreciate the reference list and case studies used to challenge definitions as well as Dr. Oh’s exploration of policies in the past and the present. Lastly, I think that those who work with youth and parents will benefit from this book as it provides a guide to having those difficult conversations with youth.

Why can't Johnny Just Quit?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”