Review by balestephen -- The Elf Legacy - Book Five of t...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
balestephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balestephen.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Review by balestephen -- The Elf Legacy - Book Five of t...

Post by balestephen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Legacy by Jordan David is a fantasy story defining friendship and loyalty. The story takes place at the North Pole and while it explains a lot of Christmas traditions such as Santa’s list, coming down the chimney, reindeer games, the story primarily focuses on the elves. How they come to be at the North Pole, their organizational jobs, and interpersonal relationships. Within the teacher student relationship a competition forms between Merlin’s two elf apprentices. Ultimately testing loyalty between new and old teachers and the concept of good and charity verses power and greed.

The idea of how elves came to be and their organization of departments is of interest to the daily lives and differences between life at the North Pole and their human lives. The passage of time is cleverly marked by the exchange in Santas’ and historical events of significance that marginally affect the main characters. The relationships of the elves seem to evolve over decades and friendships are formed particularly between Anna and Tobi ending with the truest loyalty and friendship and commitment.

I enjoyed the interaction between Merlin’s two apprentices. The competition, quest for knowledge and ultimate battle between good for the greater good and greed and power over others. The book climaxes with a technology and magic battle between these two similar characters. I also enjoyed the side story of polar bears, Hilda and her hospital and the Mother Elf and Merlin relationships.

What I disliked was I wish more action or back story was given with the polar bears as the story built up tension and left us wondering if a greater role was going to be played by these dangerous characters. I was also looking for more back story between Merlin and Mother Elf. However the relationships and character building between Merlin and his two different apprentices is perfect. I was intrigued and happy when Merlin came out of retirement to deal with his rouge apprentice. I look forward to an additional book continuing the saga.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was well written with no grammatical or spelling errors. And I didn’t rate it at 4 stars simply because so many story directions hinted at hidden back stories and were not further referenced. Overall I at first I had my doubts about this book when I realized it was a book about Santa’s Elves and not Lord of the Rings Elves. However I found myself deeply satisfying reading about the daily routine and relationships of the Christmas Elves that it became a night time routine of my own that I did not want to end. I look forward to continuing the story of Merlin and the Christmas Elves.

The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

This is cute and fun. It reminds me of the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy Christmas Special crossed over with the Santa Clause films. Sadly, it's not my thing. Thanks for the excellent review, though!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Given that this is the 5th book in a series, I have to wonder if some of the backstory you're missing is in earlier books. However, now I have a bit more information to help me decide whether or not I want to try reading this series.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've read and reviewed the whole series. You definitely should read the books in order to get a really good sense of the Elves and all that's going on in the books. It's very, very interesting and moves from genre to genre.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”