Review by Letora -- The Engine Woman's Light

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Letora -- The Engine Woman's Light

Post by Letora »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Engine Woman's Light" by Laurel Anne Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abandoned at birth, Juanita was destined for the South California asylum, a place where all unwanted people go. Saved from a life of horror, Juanita is rescued from the train destined for the asylum by her great grandmother. She begins a new life in the village Promise, as their mystic traveler. A person who is able to commune with their ancestors beyond the grave and ask for their help in the living world. One day, Juanita is given a vision by Moses. A man will begin killing patients in the asylum if the people of Promise do not stop the trains. But everyone in the village must help her, or else Promise will cease to exist. As Juanita sets out to save the future of not only her village but those in the asylum, she will have to overcome many challenges. Juanita will learn that nothing comes without a price, and she must be willing to pay it.

Set in the 1890s, The Engine Woman's Light reads like a western sci-fi, filled with train heists, saloons, and gun battles. You will travel on horseback from rough towns that are reminiscent of the wild west, to sprawling estates of crime families. However, while the setting of each area is well detailed and rich in culture, it is hard to tell how close to reality these places actually are. For someone growing up in the 1890s it would be easy to tell fact from fiction, but those of a younger generation need more details. It was hard to grasp the politics of the world and understand why there were different nationalities claiming territory in California. The south and north are clearly divided for this novel, even going so far as to name Northern California as the Yankee North, but why?

Certain details were also missing from characters. The Mendoza family is labeled as ruthless. A family that the characters are better off not interacting with. However, there is little told to the reader about their history. Later on in the story, when Antonio Mendoza is introduced, I wasn't sure what to expect of him. What would be his evil? There should have been a better set up to allow the reader to understand him more as a character. As it was his brutality seemed overboard and only for shock value.

Laurel Anne Hill has written a novel with a well planned out and developed plot. There is no skipping around, and Juanita goes through a great amount of character development. Unfortunately, if you are a reader that enjoys faster-paced novels, this will not be the book for you. Majority of the novel is slow, taking time to build up to the crucial moments toward the end. But once the action starts, it doesn't stop. The last section of the book flew by as Juanita and her group hopped trains and battled against their enemies. Fans of westerns will surely enjoy this novel.

All together I rate The Engine Women's Light 3 out of 4 stars. It is a well edited and well-written novel. I found no errors. It was lacking some details to better understand the world and its characters, but the story was well developed and kept my interest.

The Engine Woman's Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Letora's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I enjoyed reading this review. I am also put off by the lack of details in character development. Thank you for a thorough review!
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Great review! The book sounds so fun and unique , I don't think I have read a western-sci-fi book. And I love the idea of a family like the Mendoza's , a somewhat ambigous type of presence being in the story.
Letora

Post by Letora »

mmm17 wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 09:08 I enjoyed reading this review. I am also put off by the lack of details in character development. Thank you for a thorough review!
Thank you for stopping by to read my review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Letora

Post by Letora »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 09:22 Great review! The book sounds so fun and unique , I don't think I have read a western-sci-fi book. And I love the idea of a family like the Mendoza's , a somewhat ambigous type of presence being in the story.
The Mendoza's were definitely a large part of the story once Antonio was introduced. And despite the two genres being so different they really worked well together. Thank you for stopping by and reading my review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It does sound as though this novel fell just slightly short of being a really good read. That often happens when the characters are not developed fully. Thank you for a great review!
Letora

Post by Letora »

Bluebird03 wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 13:33 It does sound as though this novel fell just slightly short of being a really good read. That often happens when the characters are not developed fully. Thank you for a great review!
It was a close one! Just a bit more development and I think it would have hit the mark. Thank you for stopping by to read my review :)
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

This really sounds like a nice book. Communicating with the dead and predicting future events! That's a great read. I love your summary of the book. Thanks for the great review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

Letora wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 09:36
BuzzingQuill wrote: 15 Jun 2019, 09:22 Great review! The book sounds so fun and unique , I don't think I have read a western-sci-fi book. And I love the idea of a family like the Mendoza's , a somewhat ambigous type of presence being in the story.
The Mendoza's were definitely a large part of the story once Antonio was introduced. And despite the two genres being so different they really worked well together. Thank you for stopping by and reading my review!
Aww no problem, glad to know the two genres work well and this fusion reminds me of the cyber-punk sub-genre
Letora

Post by Letora »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 07:08 This really sounds like a nice book. Communicating with the dead and predicting future events! That's a great read. I love your summary of the book. Thanks for the great review.
Thank you for stopping by to read my review! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I read this book for review as well. I most loved the mystical elements. I agree that development was lacking in some characters. Mendoza was a truly horrid man who turned out to have redeeming qualities after all. I liked this 'message' of hope for redemption. I thought it had too many violent scenes (of different types) for younger readers though and definitely not for those who like their books fast-paced, as you said. Thanks for the in-depth review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Letora

Post by Letora »

Kelyn wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 10:30 I read this book for review as well. I most loved the mystical elements. I agree that development was lacking in some characters. Mendoza was a truly horrid man who turned out to have redeeming qualities after all. I liked this 'message' of hope for redemption. I thought it had too many violent scenes (of different types) for younger readers though and definitely not for those who like their books fast-paced, as you said. Thanks for the in-depth review!
I agree it is not a book for younger readers. Though I did find it a bit odd how some of the more graphic scenes were censored. The poker game in particular kinda made me a bit upset with the dialogue. Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for this wonderful review! I am reading this book now and agree with your opinions so far. I appreciate your comments about the author's writing style. Now I am anxious to get to the end. Great review!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I have also reviewed this book, and I think you did a great job covering all the details. I really enjoyed Juanita's character, and I would have loved to have seen her develop her "magic" more in the book. Again, nice job!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Letora

Post by Letora »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 17 Jun 2019, 11:30 I have also reviewed this book, and I think you did a great job covering all the details. I really enjoyed Juanita's character, and I would have loved to have seen her develop her "magic" more in the book. Again, nice job!
Thank you for the comment! I was really excepting more magic and agree, I would have loved to see more of it.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”