Review by daviddawud -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Review by daviddawud -- The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The King of May" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The King of May by Matthew Tysz is a novel that depicts a disordered dystopian world. The story belongs to the science fiction genre. It is the second book in the turn series. The novel was a follow up to the first book in the series, The Turn. Just like in my case, this is not a standalone novel as it is barely incomprehensible as a sequel. Due to this, it was very confusing for me at first as I invested more energy in attempting to understand the flow of the story.

After various atrocities which were committed in The Turn, the Oak was at last killed. The world was consequently thrown into a new era. This era was led by Oak creatures that were elevated to godly status with certain powers made available to them. These gods were likewise furnished with immortality. Each god was sent to control a particular aspect of the people’s life and environment. For instance, we have the god of knowledge, god of the sun, god of fertility, etc. The title of this novel was drawn from one of such deity named the King of May. He is a dancing king who was evil, cruel, and very wicked. The story portrays a dark fantasy where everything in the world seems scattered.

At the point when the two noteworthy heroes in the novel, Scholar and Ashley came back from their past triumph from the turn, they found out that Hayes was never again the warlord. They were now ready to confront a new enemy named Cattleprod. Cattleprod’s main aim was to extend his burgeoning empire to the deity’s territory. He was assisted by a King of knowledge called Cognito and his trusted adviser, Dr. Mallory. The grand scheme of all these entire plans was that for the world to be a better place, the King of May must be annihilated. Will it be possible for the major characters to unite and defeat this deadly creature?

Notwithstanding, this book has been a pleasure to read despite the few critiques I have. This science fiction novel is very astounding and captivating. I particularly love that it is a fast-paced novel as the author didn’t drag any issues for too long. Also, I love the roles of Ashley and Scholar. They were the only characters that kept pushing me to finish reading the book.

However, there are many things that I didn’t like about the novel. Firstly, there were numerous characters which made it very confusing as I struggled to understand and keep up with the flow of each character. Secondly, most of these characters were not well developed. Thus, it made the plot of the story to look dispersed and extremely exhausting to me. Thirdly, I didn’t like the author’s depiction of Africa as dark and uncivilized. I found it very offensive and unethical that he was comparing the culture of a continent to a chaotic post-apocalyptic world that he described in the novel.

In conclusion, The King of May by Matthew Tysz was an exciting read for me. I rate this novel 2 out of 4 stars . I subtracted 2 stars due to the reasons I mentioned above plus the fact that the book was not expertly edited. Therefore, I will recommend this book to lovers of post-apocalypse events and supernatural beings. I would not recommend it to religious people and children below the age of 18 years.

The King of May
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daviddawud's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helena91
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helena91.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Helena91 »

The author compared Africa to a chaotic post-apocalyptic world he created? That's really offensive. Your review was nice but I will pass this one
Dawud Adaviruku

Thank you for stopping by and for commenting on my review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I haven't read the first book, and I think I would be very confused with all of the characters as well. Therefore, I think I will skip it for now. Thanks for a great review!
Dawud Adaviruku

Prisallen wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 15:37 I haven't read the first book, and I think I would be very confused with all of the characters as well. Therefore, I think I will skip it for now. Thanks for a great review!
Yeah, you will be confused without reading the first novel. The author kept making references to events that happened in the first novel.Thank you for stopping by!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I wonder why Matthew Tysz is so focused on the dystopian genre. He is too young to think of all that. But his imagination is admirable.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Great review, but I don't care for post-apocalyptic novels, so I'll pass on this one just for that.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”