Review by Janelle Juncos -- Inspirience: Meditation Unbound

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Review by Janelle Juncos -- Inspirience: Meditation Unbound

Post by Janelle Juncos »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Inspirience: Meditation Unbound" by Richard L Haight.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight is an audiobook that gives a guide to practical meditation and offers the perspective of Haight's supernatural, meditative history.

Haight's youthful martial arts training introduced him to meditation practices. He recalls when he first began to fully meditate as a teenager in the desert, having fled from his house in a rage. In his stillness, a bobcat and a coyote approached him unafraid, à la Disney princess.

Later, Haight would have his most meaningful meditation experience (or "inspirience", as he calls it), which resulted in his sense of "isness." Isness is the concept that you are part of all things, and all things are a part of you. He describes a universal connectedness and the image of a "higher power" that is interwoven with all creatures. This specific inspirience is detailed and is one of the most exciting portions of the book.

My favorite story from Haight's spiritual journey concerns Jorge, a clairvoyant. Having met with Jorge in an effort to understand his own clairvoyance, Haight and Jorge decide on an exchange of skills: Jorge will teach Haight what he knows of spirituality, and Haight will teach Jorge martial arts.

Jorge tells Haight that his clairvoyance comes from a spirit that speaks to him. He is careful to have a sense of gratitude toward the spirit. As Jorge begins to gain a human following, however, his selfishness gets the better of him. Haight leaves Jorge in the midst of a controversy. Likewise, Haight warns that if you embark on a path of spiritualism and meditation, you may encounter some dark entities should you have the wrong intentions.

Haight's endeavor to make meditation a part of everyday life has a practical advantage, and I was excited to try some of the guided meditations in the book. Despite my efforts, I didn't have an inspirience, nor did I feel that I participated in "unfoldment," in which a soul that's been tightly folded like a piece of paper unfolds and opens to isness.

I was able to glean some wisdom from the audiobook. For example, Haight suggests that if you feel spiritually dead, you should find your passion and pursue it regularly.

Overall, I found the audiobook an enjoyable listen. I would have preferred to read it as an e-book because it is densely packed with abstract concepts. I found myself having to rewind often to be sure I was understanding it correctly. The purpose of an audiobook, in my mind, is to allow the reader to multitask. That just wasn't possible with this book. For this reason, I'm demoting the book one point for a score of 3 out of 4

Haight goes to great lengths to deny any religious affiliation with his inspiriences. Perhaps it was the way I was raised or my background in literary analysis, but I couldn't help but draw parallels between his inspiriences and religion. After all, what is a religion if not a quest for spiritual answers? There were some poignant similarities that I won't mention for fear of spoiling the main event (think: Moses and the burning bush), but a complete disregard for these similarities makes me question Haight's motives. Organized religion isn't too popular in mainstream America right now, and part of me feels that Haight is avoiding the apparent associations in an attempt to make his book appeal to the masses. This move strikes me as vaguely dishonest, or at least imperceptive.

One interesting aside on these parallels is that a spirit like Jorge's is mentioned in the Bible. In Acts 16:16, Paul and Silas are followed by a slave girl "with a spirit of clairvoyance who earned a large income for her masters by fortune-telling." The men cast out the spirit, and her owners are angry that they've lost their income. To me, that kind of background only deepens Haight's story, but to each his own.

I would recommend this audiobook to people who have the time to listen without distraction. Additionally, experienced and novice meditators might find some useful information on how to meditate while moving, talking, and working.

Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Janelle Juncos's review? Post a comment saying so!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I liked your note that you weren't able to do other things while listening to the audiobook because of the dense information. It does sound like the content would have been better suited to an e-book. Great, thorough review!
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

I also noticed the similarities with religion in some of his concepts. He made the places where his ideas differed from religion clear, but he seemed more hesitant to discuss the similarities. Thanks for your insights and review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I haven't read Haight's work but it really does sound like his brand of spirituality flirts with religion. Still, it sounds like there is something that can be found in his book. Thank you.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review... I would not go near this book, even if I was paid to do so... As a Christian, I believe in the power of meditation but it has to be focused on the word of God and the Isness business sounds erroneous... But once again, your review was awesome.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like an interesting concept and as an atheist, I appreciate when a book can be spiritual without being religious.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like an interesting audiobook, but I think I would have trouble following all of the concepts without being able to read them through a couple of times. I just finished The Unbound Soul, and I reread several chapters to let the message sink in. Thank you for a great review!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am reading this review after my review of 'Unbound Soul', another book of the same author, and some of the above mentioned points were there as well. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”