Review by Rinahbg -- Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rinah Ben Gershon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rinahbg.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Review by Rinahbg -- Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Rinah Ben Gershon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Purgatory's Angel" by B Hughes-Millman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Purgatory's Angel, B. Hughes-Millman has created a world of angelic guardians born into humanity to protect humanity and is filled with paranormal action. I gave the book a rating of two out of four stars. There was a well-thought-through story plot that flowed well, but which I found to be dry on the romance side, earning it a fair rating.

The story focuses on dark angels of heaven that battle the demons in our subconscious, the evil that lurks in depraved human beings. And all this takes place while asleep.

On the upside, it is fast-paced and an easy read. There are good description and imagery used in the fight scenes throughout the book, giving a good adrenaline rush while reading through it for supernatural action junkies like me.

While the action was well written, I found that the emotional aspect of the story was only lukewarm. The story touches on deeper inner struggles of the main character, which had the potential to add to the story, but was not developed enough to really cause any kind of empathy or attachment by the reader. The inner struggles and feelings of the leading lady, Jaime, could have further developed her character, but were instead repetitive and cold, in both the use of repetitive descriptions and the lack of emotional growth on her part.

Even the romance part of the book felt very unemotional and detached. After completing the book, I could not remember what the men in her life looked like, the body builds, outstanding characteristics. Maybe that was what the author was striving for, an emotionally detached and damaged heroine, but it caused it to be more of a supernatural action book with brief sexual stimulus than a paranormal romance, and I was left questioning whether love developed or not.

Also, I felt like much of the plot development and details were added in too late in the story, and left me feeling confused for the first two-thirds of the book.

The main character brought up questions in her inner turmoil that were not answered. For example, she questions her friendship with Sarah, but the author does not provide any background information about how they became or remain friends.

I have to admit, this book has the potential to be a great series. However, it will require further expansion onto the characters' backstories, greater description of the surroundings, greater explanation into the divine influences on their relationships (like the bond between mates), and much greater effort to form some sort of emotional attachment to the heroine.

Purgatory's Angel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rinahbg's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”