Review by B Creech -- Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by B Creech -- Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gardening With Guns" by AJ Wootton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton is a poignant memoir of the author's life, both past, and present. The author shares her traumatic childhood, and how, at a very young age, she was determined her adult life would be different.

Traveling with her husband and children to Ohio to visit her father, siblings, and other family members, Amber finds childhood memories invading her thoughts. As she allows the memories to surface, she remembers the pain she experienced while growing up. From the divorce of her parents (twice) - to a rocky relationship with her father - to vivid memories of an abusive stepfather, the author re-lives the traumas of her childhood. Only one day, after arriving in Ohio, Amber is faced with the sudden and questionable death of her father. As she struggles with her grief, she cannot suppress the memories that keep filling her mind. Her story flows back and forth from past to present as she rides an emotional rollercoaster through time.

AJ Wootton delivers her story in a unique way that holds the reader's attention from beginning to end. Her storytelling fashion lures the reader in and keeps them focused. Gardening With Guns is an emotional read at times, but not overly sensitive or explicit. The reader cannot help but be captivated by this book. Wootton's talent for writing is apparent in the detailed descriptions of her childhood. For example, she describes her anger as she witnessed their stepfather unjustly humiliate her brother, and slap him in the face: "As I passed Glen's chair I fought the urge to kick him, to tear at him with my fists and knock his stupid glasses off his fat, ugly face." One can feel the anger and passion she must have felt, as she watched her brother, broken and crying, leave the room.

I loved absolutely everything about this book! I cannot think of one thing I disliked. I was impressed with the talent the author demonstrated in her writing. I especially liked how she brought each memory to life. I hope Wootton plans to write future books because I am already a fan!

The book appeared to be professionally edited although, there were a few typographical errors presenting as incorrect words; however, they can be easily overlooked and do not take anything away from the story. Therefore, it is with great enthusiasm I rate Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to anyone who simply enjoys reading memoirs. Also, to those who may be struggling with their own past, present, or future. The lessons the author learned from her childhood may resonate on a personal level with others.

Gardening With Guns
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like B Creech's review? Post a comment saying so!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”