Review by Browlyns -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Review by Browlyns -- We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End

Post by Browlyns »

[Following is a volunteer review of "We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

WE ARE VOULHIRE: Someone Else’s End by Matthew Tysz is the third book of the We are Voulhire series. This book is set in an ancient but highly advanced era, an epic world, imaginary continents and countries. The story line is really adventurous and catchy, meant to catch the reader’s total attention. I would say this book displays the high quality talent and the gift of imagination the writer has.

Voulhire is an advanced powerful nation. Years of peace and great kings have led to the development and richness of the kingdom. King Wilhelm, the current king of Soulhire, is said to be a man whose heart is bigger than his brains. The king is seriously considering inviting refugees from The Land of Princes, who are fleeing war and oppression. The Emperor of Lullabies, from where the refugees come from is a ruthless and powerful being, backed with a great army. This action might invite the wrath of the Emperor upon voulhire effectively marking its end. What does the future hold for the people of voulhire? What action will the king take? In addition, what fate awaits him? Will his people support him? Alternatively, will they fear the power of the emperor?

What I liked most in this book is the language and words used. The language used is advanced, rich in vocabularies and artistically employed. Apart from the story, the language employed by the author attracted me. They are well balanced; the vocabularies are numerous but not too much to derail the reader from the book. The book is made up of several sub plots subtly joined together to form this novel. Every chapter is a different sub plot effectively eliminating boredom when reading this novel. The characters are so advanced that it takes a chapter and a sub plot to address the major characters, this gave them a three dimensional tangible picture hence pumps more life in to the story.

What I liked least about this book is the general flow of the story. The book started off too slow I nearly gave up on it due to boredom and tiredness. It was very hard to get the hung of the story at the early stages of this book, since; I had not read the first two books of the series according to me. However, I have to say that I caught up the flow later on and enjoyed the book. The author should at least give the preview or flashbacks to previous books to let the reader catch-up. The ending of this novel was not suitable according to my test. Despite the fact that it ended in suspense, I feel like it was too abrupt. The preview of the next book would have been welcome anticipation. I found some few errors and typos, less than ten, in this book. The organization and a little number of errors in this book is proof of professional editing and proofreading. Combined with the talent and imagination brilliance of the author, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

This is a great if not one of the best fiction books I have read. It will appeal more for those people who love epic and marvel stories complete with witches displaying great powers and heroes. It is entertaining and full of adventure. This book might not be suitable for young readers, as the language used is too advanced and full of vocabularies. They might find it difficult to follow the story especially if those young readers, do not speak English as a first language.

We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
View: on Bookshelves

Like Browlyns's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”